Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,483   Online: 1092

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elwood 5x7?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Elwood 5x7?

Does anybody know anything about these enlargers? Anybody using one? Bulbs?

Thanks

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Aristo makes a cold light for this enlarger and can be seen at www.aristogrid.com

I have two actually and I finally put them out to pasture last March when I bought a Durst 138

The blubs are very hard to find and pricey when you do locate one.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm hoping to use a frosted mogul bulb. It seems the last owner was using a clear bulb.

How did you like yours? I'm only going to use it for 5x7.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    Does anybody know anything about these enlargers? Anybody using one? Bulbs?

Thanks
    I have one. I use it. It's a big rugged enlarger and it has absolutely nothing automatic or fancy on it. It's easy to work on. It uses wooden negative and lens stages so they're easy to make. It's easy to adjust. It takes standard medium base bulbs. The bulbs are easy to find and buy although they are a tad pricey ($10.00 ??) and have a relatively short life (3 hours) given that they are a fairly high temperature. If you are an experimenter, you can use a regular long life, lower temperature bulb, run it from a variac wired to give you 140-150vac (depending on the variac) and you'll have higher temps (correct kelvin # ) and longer life also. The diffuser and heat glass stages are regular "crystal" glass (cheap at any decent glass store) and the diffuser stage is just sandblasted with denser blasting at the centre to give an even spread of light. If you want a scan of the manual, let me know. I have an original manual.

cheers

ps : in case it wasn't obvious - I really like mine.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    I'm hoping to use a frosted mogul bulb. It seems the last owner was using a clear bulb.

How did you like yours? I'm only going to use it for 5x7.
    Ther bulb to use is a PH213 - medium regular with an extender to position it for correct light distribution in the reflective dome. They are available from Buchanan Lighting or Litemor or any commercial lighting company that knows what they're doing.
    My manual - thought it was original - forgot - it is a very good copy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one of these monsters, too. I'm confused about the negative tray - I have two trays and either could be for the negative (both have openings larger than 5x7). One is a little higher in the light path than the other. Which is the correct one for use as negative carrier, and what is the other for? Would it have been for a filter for multi-grade paper?

I also can find absolutely nothing on it indicating a model number. Does anyone know how to tell them apart? Mine is all metal and was probably originally acquired by a military base during or shortly after WWII.
    juan

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    John I have the Elwood (in pieces) and will be assembling it shortly--don't know yet if I have all the parts as I purchased it disassembled....It would be helpful to see the manual as it probably has a photo of the assembled unit? Mine has a large dome housing for the bulb....

Thanks

Dave in Vegas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley
    I have one. I use it. It's a big rugged enlarger and it has absolutely nothing automatic or fancy on it. It's easy to work on. It uses wooden negative and lens stages so they're easy to make. It's easy to adjust. It takes standard medium base bulbs. The bulbs are easy to find and buy although they are a tad pricey ($10.00 ??) and have a relatively short life (3 hours) given that they are a fairly high temperature. If you are an experimenter, you can use a regular long life, lower temperature bulb, run it from a variac wired to give you 140-150vac (depending on the variac) and you'll have higher temps (correct kelvin # ) and longer life also. The diffuser and heat glass stages are regular "crystal" glass (cheap at any decent glass store) and the diffuser stage is just sandblasted with denser blasting at the centre to give an even spread of light. If you want a scan of the manual, let me know. I have an original manual.

cheers

ps : in case it wasn't obvious - I really like mine.

I'd love the manual-). The 213 doesn't sound right. I thought they used one of the PH300 type bulbs [300 or 301?]

If you increase the voltage doesn't that lower the life? If the 213 works why not just use the 212? Or are you saying run a 212 at higher voltage? The 212 temp is fine. It might be underpowered at 150watts. Those compact flourscents I found would be perfect but they have to burn upright and the larger ones can't be enclosed.

Dave you can see a picture of the one I'm getting at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi guys,

I will scan the manual this week and post it to a website then provide a link. I don't know if there's any place here on APUG to keep it, but if there is, that would be a help as I have limited web space so I can only leave it up for a little while (couple of months maybe).

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll post it with the other enlarger manuals on my site if you want.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin