Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,235   Online: 821

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Looking to Upgrade Enlargers, Bess c23

So I am making the move!
    I have an OLD bessler c23...it doesn't even say c23 on it!
    Anyway no matter which lens I have on it, I need to stop it down to 16 just to get a mildly sharp image across the plane of the neg!
    I am sure that it needs to be realigned and fiddled with.
    But I am done with it. It is huge, clunky, and I have some money to burn!

So the question.
    I shoot mostly 35 with a dabble in 6x6.
    Looking for a sharp enlarger. 3" square filters would be nice.
    Used, New...not such a big deal. But I want it to be SHARP.
    What is a good bet for Enlarger and Lens...
    So I can start the research.
    Thanks.
    Mike.

Images
    Geed Evening, Mike,

In spite of your "huge, clunky" comment, what's wrong with another 23C, one in good shape? They're practically being given away nowadays. Unless your Beseler is truly battered, bashed, and beaten-up, it's hard to imagine that it can't be aligned adequately.

When this topic comes up here, there's usually a consensus that getting an enlarger that will take at least 6 x 7 (preferably 4 x 5) is almost always the best long-term approach--unless severe space limitations are a factor.

Konical

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Mike,

Consider a 4x5 with a dichroic head. The big enlargers are awfully solid and the dichroic heads really makes it easier to print. I will never go back to filters.<g> Sharpness? Alignment, as you stated, is key.

Neal Wydra

Images
    I have an ancient c23 that still serves me well. Sharp all across the neg. There are a lot of omega B22s on ebay, if I didn't regularly shoot 6x7, I'd consider that an option. I like my Beseler though.
    I like condensors for B&W.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I have an ancient c23 that still serves me well. Sharp all across the neg. There are a lot of omega B22s on ebay, if I didn't regularly shoot 6x7, I'd consider that an option. I like my Beseler though.
    I like condensors for B&W.
    I'm with Neal on this. I have an old (blue) Beseler 23c and I dearly love it! Maybe yours just needs a little TLC.

I mean... if you've got money to toss around... well, I can ALWAYS use film & chemicals!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I actually just got my 23C before Christmas last and had to align it...You know, the manuals are available online and it only takes about a half an hour to realign...It could save you some $$$ for a camera/lens/film/paper/chemicals or a gadget!

Just my $0.02

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical
    Geed Evening, Mike,

In spite of your "huge, clunky" comment, what's wrong with another 23C, one in good shape? They're practically being given away nowadays. Unless your Beseler is truly battered, bashed, and beaten-up, it's hard to imagine that it can't be aligned adequately.

When this topic comes up here, there's usually a consensus that getting an enlarger that will take at least 6 x 7 (preferably 4 x 5) is almost always the best long-term approach--unless severe space limitations are a factor.

Konical
    The practically given away Beseler 23Cs, are they on Ebay? We'd like to set up a darkroom for our daughter who likes the 23CII and is selling a lot of her photos. Are they reliable for a long, long time? Thanks for your kind assistance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    B&Wenthusiast,
    23C's are one of the benchmark enlargers. Accessories are very common since the thing has been made since God was a child. The newer black 23CIII is more easily aligned though.
    There are other options if you don't think you would need the 6X9 capability of the beseler. If space isn't a factor, you may consider a 4X5 enlarger for future upgrade.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The 23 C XL that I bought in early 1977 still prints works perfectly. Beseler rebuild kits are available for enlargers that have seen a lot of use. Many years ago, I bought a special alignment tool but haven't had the occasion to use it too much. I have a condensor and cold light head for this also and color heads for the 23 C are very cheap and easy to find. I have a Dichro S on my 4x5 Beseler. The Beseler enlargers were built to last just about forever. How many ink-jet printers in use today do you think will still be being used 30 years from now?

Align your 23 C and spend the money on a super premium enlarger lens!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1
    How many ink-jet printers in use today do you think will still be being used 30 years from now?
    Let's see,
    One Beseler 23c that probably cost me less than a couple of hundred bucks used, has served me for untold thousands of prints over 30 years with no sign of ever giving up and the occasional small expense of a new 111a bulb.
    against...
    About a half a dozen inkjet printers in as many years plus the frequent expense of hugely over priced replacement ink cartridges.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin