Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,767   Posts: 1,484,172   Online: 874

Shooter
    Large Format

Mounting an EL-Nikkor 210 on a Durst 138?

Anybody succeed in mounting an EL-Nikkor 210 enlarging lens on an old Durst 138 (the old one with the non-removable Tripla lens turret). I spoke to Mr Jensen (of Jensen Optical) about it and he implied that I would probably get vignetting not from the lens but because the turret "holes" are still too small for the lens even if used with an extension Lapla lenseboard. The Nikkor 210 is a monster lens with a 72 mm mounting ring. He suggested I opt for a Schneider Componon 210 or Rodenstock Rodagon 210. He also implied that the Schneider 180 has less coverage (inadequate for 5x7) compared to the Rodagon 180, though it may be somewhat sharper.

Any experience with mounting this lens on the Durst?

Any experience with any of the other lenses?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hany,

I mounted a 210mm G-Claron on a disk that I had machined out to fit the lens and I mounted it all on the 138. I am not familiar with the particular lens you ask about.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    The turret is thicker than the single hole "straight" lensboard, which spaces the lens just a little lower. Iíll agree with Mr. Jensen, that it may cause vignetting. Why donít you get a single hole lensboard with a 72mm hole. That would work just fine.
    óEric

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield
    Why donít you get a single hole lensboard with a 72mm hole. That would work just fine.
    My enlarger is a 138 (older model, actually in my case labelled as the "Special 45" but it really is a 138). The turret is actually not removable. Durst introduced the removable turret ("Tripla") only on the more recent 138S.

The attraction of the EL-Nikkor 210 is that I already have the lens. The others I would have to buy. Moreover the Nikkor 210 lens has a good reputation and probably covers 8x10 under other circumstances; many users in fact appear to use it for 8x10.

I didn't make it clear in my original post, I will be using this lens for enlarging 5x7.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by haziz
    Anybody succeed in mounting an EL-Nikkor 210 enlarging lens on an old Durst 138 (the old one with the non-removable Tripla lens turret). I spoke to Mr Jensen (of Jensen Optical) about it and he implied that I would probably get vignetting not from the lens but because the turret "holes" are still too small for the lens even if used with an extension Lapla lenseboard. The Nikkor 210 is a monster lens with a 72 mm mounting ring. He suggested I opt for a Schneider Componon 210 or Rodenstock Rodagon 210. He also implied that the Schneider 180 has less coverage (inadequate for 5x7) compared to the Rodagon 180, though it may be somewhat sharper.

Any experience with mounting this lens on the Durst?

Any experience with any of the other lenses?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.
    I have the removable Tripla lens turret as does Lee. We both have 138S model enlargers while yours is a 138...these are different enlargers. I am not familiar with the non removable turret since the 138 that I have seen had the removable turret. I would give credence to Jens knowledge on this. I, however, do not understand his mention of an extending lens board unless you have inadequate lens bellows extension on your particular 138. I do not experience vignetting on my Componon S on my 138S.

I have a 210 mm 5.6 Schneider Componon S mounted on mine. My Componon S had the appropriate mounting ring attached. I also have a 150 mm 5.6 El Nikkor that I use for 4X5. I have heard that the Schneider 210 would cover 8X10 but have not tried this myself.

My 210 Schneider has appr. 62 mm ID and probably more nearly 75 mm OD mounting ring.

The 210 G Claron that Lee mentioned is a F9 lens and probably is smaller the the lens that you have. I am basing this on a F9 210 RD Artar that I had at one time.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    my g claron takes a hole that is about 72mm I really dont remember but it is larger than the Rodenstock 150 I have mounted on a disk also that one was cut out to about 49mm or so. All mm's are guesstimates

lee\c

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin