Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,842   Online: 963

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To everybody who's replied:

You have given me plenty to work with. My situation is that I have a space that is not in my own basement, and it's a multipurpose room, meaning there is always dust present. I'll probably be using anti-stat gun and compressed air in the future.

To Leon, in regards to the ionizing air cleaner. A word of warning. Be careful with those air cleaners. To create the ions high voltage is necessary, in the realm of 5-10,000 Volts DC. Voltage this high creates ozone, which is one of the worst oxidants known to man. Breathing ozone may have a severely detremental health effect. People aware of their health are worried about eating/drinking anti-oxidants, and then put ionizing air cleaners in their house, polluting the air with oxidants... Does not make a lot of sense.
    It is true, however that it helps making the dust heavy enough to fall to the floor.

Thanks everybody, I really do appreciate your input.

- Thom

Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    i use double sided glass neg holders - and used to have a bit of a prob with dust ... until I started to use an air filter with a ioniser (or de-ioniser, I cant remember which is correct!) - it seems to make the dust fall out of the air. I make sure I dont clean less than 2 hours before using the edarkroom as the disturbed dust seems to make the problem worse, and as frank says, I wipe down the enlarger bench with a damp cloth 1 x per week. I rarely have to use my spotone retouchjing kit any longer.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    We're heading back towards printing in the nude again

David.

David, if only hair didn't become more of an issue then.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by huggyviking
    To Leon, in regards to the ionizing air cleaner. A word of warning. Be careful with those air cleaners. To create the ions high voltage is necessary, in the realm of 5-10,000 Volts DC. Voltage this high creates ozone, which is one of the worst oxidants known to man. Breathing ozone may have a severely detremental health effect. People aware of their health are worried about eating/drinking anti-oxidants, and then put ionizing air cleaners in their house, polluting the air with oxidants... Does not make a lot of sense.
    oh no - you've gone and made me all paranoid now. it's in the bin already ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    I use a rubber bellows with no brush on it. I hold the neg so that the room light reflects off the surface and examine the surface. This shows up anything on the surface. Anything that won't be moved by the blower, I have a small brush (bought for spotting but never used for that) that I use to give the offending dust a tickle to move.
    Ditto here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser
    David, if only hair didn't become more of an issue then.
    Then we are heading towards printing in the nude after a total body shave...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a good antistat brush and make sure that I am looking at the negative under very strong directional light at an oblique angle. At that angle I can see any dust that is on the neg and get it off with the brush. I don't ever seem to need air. To me the most important thing (after trying your best to have a clean environment) is seeing the dust. If you can't see it, your efforts to remove it are likely to be ineffective. Both air and brushes have a bad habit of just moving the dust from one place on the negative to another.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser
    I have given thought to wearing clothes made of a synthetic but that's going too far and I think I have already been pretty thorough.
    Synthetic clothes will generate static electricity and attract dust...I think

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    Then we are heading towards printing in the nude after a total body shave...
    And we don't want Morten to have to shave off his nose hair, it brings him such joy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    Synthetic clothes will generate static electricity and attract dust...I think
    Why not wear one of those clean room "Bunny Suits" with an embroidered Rodinal emblem....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JHannon
    Why not wear one of those clean room "Bunny Suits" with an embroidered Rodinal emblem....
    Wonderful...as long as it says Rodinal I am ready

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin