Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,736   Online: 840

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    Synthetic clothes will generate static electricity and attract dust...I think

OK that's it!!! No more fooling around, I'm going to build one of those "bubble boy" suits!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fred Picker in "Zone VI Workshop" mentions using a "Kodak electro brush" that works well. Anyone ever see/try one? I wonder if it is just a treated antistatic brush like the others. I was looking for something that plugs in......with more power.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JHannon
    Fred Picker in "Zone VI Workshop" mentions using a "Kodak electro brush" that works well. Anyone ever see/try one? I wonder if it is just a treated antistatic brush like the others. I was looking for something that plugs in......with more power.....

Check out the Pro-co dust stat,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd like to add I don't really worry about dust in the darkroom itself, I vacuum occasionaly using a house integrated unit (so no air from vac gets reintroduced into the room.. it ends up in the garage) and have a clean underneath the enlargers about twice a year. In reality, there is dust everywhere but I'm careful the negs get to dry in a dust free area, and they get into the neg sleeves clean. I check/dust the neg as it goes into the enlarger, and very rarely do any spotting of prints.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JHannon
    Fred Picker’s Zone 6 company sold a variant briefly. They were made by Chapman Company, but production ceased. But you can assemble the parts and make your own.

They all use a "single point ionizer" powered by a high-volt transformer (around 5 kv). The ionizer is about the diameter of a pencil and half as long; attach it on the metal ferrule of a camel hair brush, with the point of the ionizer near the tips of the bristles. I purchased my ionizer and transformer from SIMCO.biz

I have mine on a foot-switch, along with a small high-intensity collimated light, so light and ionizer turn on together. It works great!
    —Eric

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm pretty new to doing my own prints and negs but somebody told me that if you rub your finger on your nose and get the skin oil on your finger and rub that on your neg it even gets rid of drying marks or fixer that didn't wash off.

this guy got a few awards in the AIPP show this year so the advice must be worth something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DDD
    I'm pretty new to doing my own prints and negs but somebody told me that if you rub your finger on your nose and get the skin oil on your finger and rub that on your neg it even gets rid of drying marks or fixer that didn't wash off.
    that's termed 'nose grease' or 'noiseoil' (no you can't register at APUG under that id.. someone's already got it!)

You'd do this for a different reason to what's been discussed in this thread so far. Initally you want to make sure there's no dust (or other foriegn objects) on the neg becasue they block the light and you end up with a white spot or mark on your print. If your neg has a scratch that's showing up on the print, sometimes doing the nose grease trick will hide it (someone will have an accurate techy reason). There's products that try to do the same thing. In either case your should clean the neg with a film cleaner before putting it back in your neg sleeve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK - so if we breed, or genetically engineer the perfect photographer, he/she will not onlyhave eyes twice the size of the average human eye, capable of seeing things in monochrome, colour and be used as spot meters and accurate rangefinders - BUT ALSO: be totally hairless like those cats, have no sweat glands on their palms but overdeveloped ones on their noses!!!
    The future looks positively frightening!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a thought after my latest print session...
    All the know how in the world... can't make up for being silly...
    I had all this dust! Reason: I was hurrying things and didnt follow even my own advice! So here I am, sitting, looking at all these specks... kicking myself

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    you can wipe negs with "swifties" or "swifters" forget the exact name...will check...soft dry and attracts dust off the neg...doesnt scratch at all...they are the little wipes...not the ones you put on the mop...get them at the grocery store.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin