Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,348   Online: 1143

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Reflection densitometer for printing.

Does anyone on this list use a reflection densitometer to examine their prints and if so what method do you use.

Does the information help you in anyway with the relationship between the paper you use and the film developer you use.

I haven't tried this myself but the graphic arts industry do use similar methods and it occured that they may be transferrable to what we do.

Interested to hear if anyone has actually tried this or something similar they have developed.
    Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use one when testing papers. Based on the Beyond The Zone System methods I shoot for about 90% of a paper's DMax for the clear areas of the film.

It is very useful in fine tuning film development to a particular paper grade. I don't worry about this much if I am using VC paper.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The reflection densitometer is indispensible if you are using digital negatives for either silver or alternative printing. I don't see how you can create accurate curves without one.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a reflection densitometer to determine the curves for a paper.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin