Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,182   Online: 666

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

El-Nikkor N v non N lenses

I am in the market for an El-Nikkor 80mm lens. There is a different asking price for the "N" lens. Apart from an obviously new and different exterior is there a lens design/performance improvement that would warrant the extra bucks for an "N" lens?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've always heard that the "N" lenses are better. I have an 80mm non-N and a 105mm "N". Not the same focal length, but in testing, they both are excellent. I certainly wouldn't sell my 80mm for a newer "N" model. (even at the extremely low eBay prices).
    —Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Eric. I seem to remember someone else saying the same thing . . that the lens design was identical. . . 6 elements etc . . .and that it was only the more convenient exterior design that warranted the "N" name. There are more non-N's for sale on Ebay and I am spending so much that even a slight saving is worth having. But not at the price of later frustration when I realize I have only short-changed myself by being cheap.
    John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the 50mm and 80mm El Nikkor's both of which are non "N." Each lens gives me tack-sharp prints with excellent image quality and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a non "N" version again if it saved me a good chunk of money.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The N lenses are nice but I like the all-metal construction of the original non-n lenses.
    My 50/2.8 is my favorite for enlarging 35mm, and the 80mm that I use is okay.
    I think I got a bad sample in all honesty. It just never really made me say wow.
    My Fujinon-EX 135 on the other hand... will be the enlarging lens that I take with me to the grave.

I got the non-n's to save money and i've never regretted it. I've used the N lenses while at school and still don't miss not having it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin