Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,130   Online: 846

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

JandC Classic Paper

I'm about at the bottom of my last box of Polymax and looking find a new paper to get used to. I'm thinking of trying a box of The cold-tone multi-grade paper that JandC labels. Has anyone tried this? Can you give me a head's up of what to expect after using Polymax for so long? I'd like to try the Paper developer that they sell too. My other option is to throw my support to Ilford, (which I'll probably buy from JandC if (when?) they start carrying it)
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last winter I used a couple of packets of 12X16 and printed 35 and 4X5, I used dektol with very good results, but I like Adox better and once the day time tempt drop below 100 I plan on ordering Adox 12X16. I will miss polymax, but I can live either J&C or Adox.

Images
    Thanks for that, Paul. Adox would have been another choice from JandC. Perhaps I should give that a try. Can you suggest why you prefer the Adox?
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Looks like J&C Classic includes at least 4 different papers. I've used the Museum graded which, as has been said elsewhere, is Forte Fortezo. Very nice slightly warm tone in Agfa Neutol WA & very good paper for Lith. Just got the Polywarmtone (Forte Polywarmtone)& will try it also in Lith.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Their neutral multi-contrast paper is Polygrade V, and this paper is also quite nice. It can give you very cold images or slightly warm images, depending upon developer and toning time. I like to use Agfa Neutol WA with this paper and tone 1+20 for about 7-8 minutes in selenium which gives it a nice dark chocolate look. The white areas are quite brilliant and the blacks are deep.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the multi-grade is indeed re-packaged polygrade 5 I agree with the previous poster about using Agfa Neutol and a selenium. The great thing about Polygrade 5 or its repackaged equivalent is the versatility in Selenium. I keep very good neutral qualities with just a couple minutes in 1-20 selenium. On the other hand, with dektol and either stronger selenium dillution or longer toning in weaker dillution you can get a very warm result.

I believe that it also split tones well in bleach and selenium or sepia and selenium.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    . Can you suggest why you prefer the Adox?
    I like a cold semi gloss paper, but I do ferrotype some prints for high gloss and Adox glossed well. Adox has deep black and handled highlights well, I have not toned Adox yet. The price seems attractive. Just my personal tast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi: I'd second anyone's positive opinion on Adox. I even started a thread on it under contact printing. It tones very well, and very neutrally, has a long tonal scale and reacts well to the harder filters. With Adox I can make contact prints from 8X10 negs that rival the Azo prints I made years ago from the same negs. I get very strong blacks (best I've ever seen from a VC paper) with nicely detailed highlights, using Ethol LPD 1:2. The 12X16 size is a little weird, but so what?
    Haven't tried the JandC Classic paper yet, but maybe I should. Dean
    dphphoto

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dphphoto
    Hi: I'd second anyone's positive opinion on Adox. I even started a thread on it under contact printing.
    But it is an enlarging paper isn't it? Is it unusually slow?
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Zonal Pro and dektol, others have commented that Adox seems to have Dupont quaility, I need to find some old boxes of unmounted prints to look for Dupont from the 70 so I can really compare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin