Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,550   Online: 1161

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Omega B600 condensor help please!

Hi,

I have an Omega B600 with a condensor head. The question I have is this:

My condensor has what appears to be a water spot right at the low point of the convex area on the top lens and one smaller one directly under it on the bottom lens. My theory is that the enlarger (which I bought a few months ago) has sat around for a long time - it looks brand new once I got it dusted off. I believe that humidity and condensation have gathered over the years and dried with dust and such, on the low spot of the lens, and some of it dripped down onto the bottom lens - thus forming the two water rings/spots.

Now, the condensor appears to be very simple - two metal pieces holding the two convex lenses bolted to a circular piece that sits in the bottom half of the head over thelens (as I am sure most of you know). It appears to be held together by four screws - two holding the brackets together around the lenses, and two that hold those to the top plate.

There is no way I can get at the water spots without disassembly. My question is this:

Should I do this at home, by myself? It looks simple enough - there does not appear to be any facility for adjustment that I could mess up during re-assembly, but... looks can be decieving, so this post is my "measure twice..." component before I "cut once" and have an out of alignment enlarger.

I would really appreciate your input on this as under certain levels of enlargement, the water marks seem to show on the prints (they are about the size of a dime on the top lens, and smaller on the bottom one, where I assume the excess condensation dripped down). Thanks in advance,

Peter.
    Last edited by gnashings; 09-26-2005 at 08:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Peter,
    I wouldn't hesitate to take the condenser assembly apart myself. As you said there's not much to it. I guess my advice would be to note positions of the respective condensers on removal to assure correct reassembly.
    John

Shooter
    35mm
    I have taken my C700 apart a number of times without any problems. Just don't mix up the lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks - I just had (as Iam sure many of us "manly men" had...) a few cases of "HOW!? It looked SO simple!!!" - whilst standing over a partially reassembled device of some sorts and a pile of "spare parts"... Or a fully re-assembled one that just won't work...
    Just wanted to avoid one of those cases and make sure its really is as simple as it looks and get a second of opinion(s)!
    Thanks so much, your help is much appreciated!

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Peter,
    I've done this and it is really simple. I got the instructions from the manual which I found on the PureSilver web site.

Hope that this helps,
    Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the input - I will post how it went for sure! I have not looked at puresilver, Kent. I think I may do that now!

Peter.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin