Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,272   Online: 1150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enlarging Times

Images

Enlarging Times

I am curious. About how long do you like to keep your exposure times when enlarging? I feel most comfortable around 15 or 20 seconds. My burns and dodges are more intuitive around there. I just had a 50 second exposure with some slower paper and it really threw my timing off.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think of 20 seconds as a kind of a minimum and I like to stay close to that range. I get bored with longer exposures and start making mistakes!

(Probably too much TV as a child, or perhaps as an adult)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I am with you. 12 second minimum, 24 second Max. Shorter, I can't get done what I want - Longer and my mind wanders. Have you noticed when you try to do a graduated edge balancing burn-in, you have one set speed? Anything faster or slower is jerky?

Images
    Many times, in fact most times, I have a base exposure of 60-75 seconds and then start burning. This is with a f/11, 6x6 negative, 11x14 Ilford MGIV paper. I'm always amazed to hear people printing with such short base exposures.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I’m just starting up with a second enlarger for 8x10 and am I getting confused or pushed . The 4x5 is a Saunders diffusion with dial in filters. For 16x20 Kentmere prints, 40-60 seconds with some surprises at 2-3 minutes. The 8x10 is an Aristo cold light 12x12 head. BAM!! 10-12 seconds for similar negatives, development, paper and exposure. I am adding a neutral density filter to slow that racer down a bit so I have time to react and dodge or burn.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We have a 4X5 cold light head and it is also a bit much. I don't personally use it for that reason.

Actually, in response to the above question, 11X14s tend to go a bit higher, closer to 45 seconds, and 16X20s get up there in time. I was mostly referring to 8X10s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My graded paper 8x10s are usually around 35 seconds at f8.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    About how long do you like to keep your exposure times when enlarging?
    With very little dodging and/or burning, I like about 30-seconds. Depending on the amount of dodging/burning, more. Using a cold light makes this process a little more complicated since 3-seconds burts max is a must to avoid overheating the tube (hence more light than planned).
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

Images
    I've always liked 10 to 15 seconds. For Christmas cards, I shorten the time as much as possible. Obviously, I choose an image that doesn't require much work for a Christmas card.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    10 seconds is my standard base exposure. Dodging and burning are fractions of a stop of that. Totals of exposures may be 60 seconds.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin