Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,240   Online: 819

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You know, if split filtering is causing problems, you might just try mixing the channels... it IS ALL THE SAME, after all.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have been watching and reading this for a day or two now and one thing that is not clear to me is when you are changing filters the light is out, right? You are not doing this in the middle of the exposure are you? Forgive me if that sounds stupid but you just never know without asking.

lee\c
    Last edited by lee; 10-06-2005 at 04:48 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    You know, if split filtering is causing problems, you might just try mixing the channels... it IS ALL THE SAME, after all.
    Not when it comes to dodging it's not. Also, some people find it quicker and easier to reach a suitable overall grade by splitting the exposure in to two. Different strokes...

Another option if the enlarger head is loose is to use the Ilford under-lens filter holders.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think mixing the channels is the same. Doing it that way, you can't expose for different times for different tonal values. It's do-able, but not as precise.

Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, the light is out.

You've all given good suggestions. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try and secure the head a little better, and if that doesn't work, I might try and get the gel filter in the mixer somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    I have been watching and reading this for a day or two now and one thing that is not clear to me is when you are changing filters the light is out, right? You are not doing this in the middle of the exposure are you? Forgive me if that sounds stupid but you just never know without asking.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Make sure you allow enough time after making the changes to allow the oscillations in the enlarger frame to die out before making the next exposure. This may take upwards of 30 seconds for some flimsey structures.
    Gary Beasley

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by greydreams
    Hello people, I'm having an issue with split-filtering. I have a Beseler 23C XL color enlarger, and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced blurring of the image due to turning the knobs (to chage from full M to full Y) when split-filtering, and if anyone has come up with a solution. I would rather not use the cheapo gel filters, or muddle up the image by mixing M and Y in the same exposure.

peace.

Bill.
    Been doing this for years with no blurring, but then I'm using a 45MCX which is quite a bit heavier than your 23, and the dichro head is also heavier and sits on the negative carrier more heavily, and so is less prone to movement. Make sure you've got your enlarger as rock stable as you can get it, and turn the dials gently, letting it settle before hitting your timer.

Larry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think mixing the channels is the same. Doing it that way, you can't expose for different times for different tonal values. It's do-able, but not as precise.
    Well, I thought this was one of those ideas that was resolved 30 - 40 years ago.

I don't want to bring it up as a religious issue. Whatever makes good pictures for you, keep doing it.

You might secure the top of your enlarger chassis to the wall or ceiling.

Good luck.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Seems like the easiest answer, or at least what I'd try first, is to use a little WD 40 on the filter wheel. Make sure it moves like silk, and doesn't take the strength of Samson to turn it. The enlarger head shouldn't be disturbed.

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Agreed. It is not the same. Split filter improves local contrast within specific tones as well as offering more control to have varying contrasts in different areas of the print.

Larry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin