Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,978   Posts: 1,523,690   Online: 1126

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Split-Filtering w/ dichro head - blurring problems

Hello people, I'm having an issue with split-filtering. I have a Beseler 23C XL color enlarger, and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced blurring of the image due to turning the knobs (to chage from full M to full Y) when split-filtering, and if anyone has come up with a solution. I would rather not use the cheapo gel filters, or muddle up the image by mixing M and Y in the same exposure.

peace.

Bill.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been doing split filtering with a color head, though not a 23C, but a Beseler 67SVX or something. Never had this problem, but I turn the knobs VERY gently. All I can offer is some common sense suggestions, that you've probably tried... make sure the enlarger head is secured in place, and just be very careful with turning the knobs.

Good luck with it!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Bill

I agree with Suzanne, you need to be very gentle using dichroic, that is why I like the condensor head, just gently flip the lid and add the appropriate filter.

I do not recommend this as I have not done so myself . But *You * could modify the mixing box quite easily by putting a slit into the plastic plate and put in a channel to slide the filters into the mixing chamber. You would have to use the 4x5 mixing box and I have an extra one if you are handy you could have it just take care of shipping.
    You would then use white light which gives you maximum power and use the filters in a position that would not detract from the image quality.
    This way I think the dials would be not needed which I know are a pain in the *** to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have to agree with the previous post. Have a 23CII Dichro and a 45 Dichro and use both for split filtering..only time have had image blur was either from bumping the enlarger when moving the card for each step or because I forgot to turn the filter up or down before I turned the light on. Just be sure to give the enlarger a few secs to settle down before you turn the power on. BTW, have switched for the dichro light to just using green (soft) and blue (hard) filters under the lens and have been very happy with them.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't say I'm gentle with either of my enlargers. Now I'm not saying I hit with a hammer but I don't baby it either. I have trouble seeing how changing a sheet filter is going to be any easier on the enlarger. How sturdy is the enlarger on it's base?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder if you are doing the changes during the exposure or between exposures. I have been using an LPL Saunders where the locking screw for the head height is broken and I am still not getting any blurring. I am guessing that it shakes a tiny bit when you actually use the knobs, but that if you do that between exposures, rather than in one long exposure, you should be okay. If you are doing this between exposures and still getting blurring...then...never mind.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW, after a bunch of prints with distinct double images, I started simply hand holding the filter material under the lens for split filtering with my D2 and cold light. Just lifting the head enough to slip the filter in on top of the negative carrier would (sometimes) move the carrier enough to make a visible double or a much subtler blur.

This won't work well when I'm ready to dodge and burn, however (one hand to hold the filter, one to operate the switch, doesn't leave anything to dodge and burn with), so I'll probably wind up fabricating a simple frame that will fasten to the bracket for under-lens multicontrast filters (thoughtfully provided by Omega on each lens board and cone), to hold the 6x6 (or smaller, if I cut some smaller ones) filters. Then, of course, instead of just moving the filter to avoid projecting dust and scratches, I'll have to find a way to keep the filters clean and scratch free...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Fasten the top of the column to a wall so you get rid of the vibration just as is done with wall mount enlargers. In your case, retain the baseboard.

Or buy a focomat 1c or V35. These will not shake at all and you need not add additional support.

I would do some careful side by side tests to see if you think anything is gained by split filtering. I only see a value if the neg requires low contrast to print, then I intensify the blacks with a short exposure with high contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second the idea of securing the top of the enlarger column to the wall. Calumet or B&H may have a kit.
    If you're not concerned about the "latest," you could pick up a Leitz Valoy. Not auto focus, but dirt cheap. I got one a few years ago for $50. Simply the best 35mm enlarger I've ever had. Interestingly, it has a helical focusing mount for the lens. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you're doing long exposures? Then you maybe you're getting negative pop. I use to get this alot then I started using a glass neg carrier or if you don't want the dust problem? Use two small pieces of archival tape and tape the neg taunt to the bottom of your neg carrier.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin