Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,740   Online: 1011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You will be inundated with tips and suggestions. So far, the best one is to make sure that your exposures are long enough to allow for dodging and burning. It is impossible to dodge and burn a print whose total exposure time is 10 - 15 seconds. If you decrease your aperture to the point where your exposures are in the 40 to 60 second range, burning an dodging becomes easier, albeit more time consuming.

I have used wires, hands, fingers, cardboard with round holes, square holes, multiple pieces of cardboard as dodging tools. The only one I haven't used was a smashed flat spoon.

Successful dodging and burning is attained by practice, so if you are aware you are burning up some paper, you are on the right track. Correct evaluation of your technique can only be ascertained when the prints are dry. You must record your printing formula for each try for study and comparision after the prints are dry. Make sure you burn your paper wisely.
    A New Project! Transformations 02/02/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Though some people don't, I think burning and dodging are best done with cards. Once upon a time, using your hands seemed to be the technique de jour, but I never found it nearly as accurate and repeatable as cards. Don't be discouraged...it really does take a while to get good at it.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lipka
    Successful dodging and burning is attained by practice, so if you are aware you are burning up some paper, you are on the right track. Correct evaluation of your technique can only be ascertained when the prints are dry. You must record your printing formula for each try for study and comparision after the prints are dry. Make sure you burn your paper wisely.
    We should all print this out, frame it, hang it on the ouside of the darkroom door, and read it before entering

Murray

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin