Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,129   Online: 972

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: drydown

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use an old FB print dryer. Takes about 8~10 mins to dry a test strip/print. This method has never let me down, though obviously you need an FB dryer to start with! Might try the microwave method, but I'd like to be sure I wouldn't knacker it up in the process (the microwave I mean).
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i use a blow dryer

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone....I was going to dry the test strips on an aga, which dries most things in next to no time. Intrigued by the 3 minute developing preocedure & might give it a go. I'm getting ahead of myself as I don't plan to open the box of paper until my burning / dodging on rc has improved (see different thread). I'm burning paper & making progress...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used a microwave for 20-years with no problems. I still find that the viewing light and angle needs to be consistent - the Sexton method sounds like a good idea.
    juan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dphphoto
    When A A did this, it was called a radar range.
    How long do you develop your prints for? I was fortunate enough to take George Tice's b&w printing workshop in Maine about 10 years ago. I learned that if you develop your prints for 3 minutes you significantly reduce drydown, almost to the point of irrelevancy. I still print that way to this day. Dean
    I find this not to be true at least for the Ilford MGIV fiber paper I use. I develop for between 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, actually closer to the 3 minutes and find that the paper dries down somewhere around 10-12% maybe higher. I use the microwave to test dry my prints and find it works pretty well. If the print seems good after microwaving I re-wet the print and put it back into the print washer with no ill effects. (At least so far after a few years) I'm thinking of getting a microwave that can take 11X14 prints as my current one will will only accomodate 8X10. When I think I've nailed an 11X14 I rip it in half before putting it in the oven
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    35mm
    How long do you have to microwave a 10 x 8 MGIV piece of paper ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lewis
    Until it's dry?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dphphoto
    ... if you develop your prints for 3 minutes you significantly reduce drydown, almost to the point of irrelevancy.
    I always understood drydown to be due to the swell of the wet emulsion causing silver particles to seperate and appear less dense - as it dries, the emulsion shrinks and the particles draw closer, and hence the tones darken. How can increasing development times alter a physical characteristic of the emulsion/paper?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Microwaving a print is like microwaving food - time depends on the microwave oven's power. In mine (which I think is 1000 watts) I cook and 8x10 Azo print for 45 seconds. It's not completely dry when I take it out, but it air drys completely in another minute or so. YMMV.
    juan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lewis
    I have notes at home but if my recollection is correct I cook it for about 2 min 45 sec on #7 power. The way my and I think most microwaves works is #7 means it is on for 70% of the time at full power. When I cooked it for a shorter time on full power parts of the paper would burn. So at 70% it has a chance to cool off before the power goes on again. YMMV.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin