Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,776   Posts: 1,516,690   Online: 1193

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: drydown

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hortense
    Here’s what John Sexton does – and, what I do:
    Bruce Barnbaum must do something like this since has and several articles, “There is no such thing as dry-down.” While we all now that dry-down effect print emulsions, this is a faster way of getting to the final print.
    Yes, you're correct, he does. However, instead of measuring anything, Bruce adjusted his lighting based on his prints. After a few iterations, he was done.

So, if your prints are too dark when you look at them under normal room lighting (after they're dried and/or mounted) your inspection light in the darkroom is to bright. Likewise, if your prints are too light, your inspection light is too dim.

Lather, rinse, repeat until you're satisfied with the final product.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    I always understood drydown to be due to the swell of the wet emulsion causing silver particles to seperate and appear less dense - as it dries, the emulsion shrinks and the particles draw closer, and hence the tones darken. How can increasing development times alter a physical characteristic of the emulsion/paper?
    I think you are correct Leon, it cannot. Wet paper and emulsion expands, so the image appears lighter. It shrinks back to it's original size as it dries, and thereby gets a little darker. Wet prints obviously have a different look to dry ones, which further complicates matters. Les has an article on the subject on this site which is worth a read.
    All seems like a good reason to print on R/C to me; sniff!
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    I always understood drydown to be due to the swell of the wet emulsion causing silver particles to seperate and appear less dense - as it dries, the emulsion shrinks and the particles draw closer, and hence the tones darken. How can increasing development times alter a physical characteristic of the emulsion/paper?
    I don't know, but it seems to work.
    dphphoto

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin