Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,884   Online: 1185

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Panoramic Enlarging

I am starting to make panoramic images using the techniques described here, which gives me negatives that are 6x20cm or more...does anyone have a genius method for enlarging these puppies without going digital or am I limited to contact printing them? I have available to me a Beseler 67c and a Federal Junior Store-Away that dates back to the Atomic age. I also have a good 4-blade 11x17 easel. I would love to be able to enlarge these to 12x40cm and print across a piece of 28x43cm paper (aka 11x17) Any brilliant solutions or am I just going to have to break down and scan them?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    That's interesting stuff you've found there!

I shoot 6x30+ and stretched an enlarger to cover the negs, so yes it can be done ok if you're prepared to do the work. I usually print mine a metre long, at that size they're less than 4 times enlargement and extremely sharp.

If you want I can print a few negs for you to give you an idea how they look.

attached is a pic of the enlarger.

Clayton
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails printing2.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That is interesting stuff. Has anyone chopped up a few Holgas and glued them back together to make a pano camera? I've seen this done with Nikons, pre-Xpan.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    That is interesting stuff. Has anyone chopped up a few Holgas and glued them back together to make a pano camera? I've seen this done with Nikons, pre-Xpan.
    That's an interesting idea too!..........although you'd have to use some other glass in it to cover.......but then again the falloff may be interesting.

Clayton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by claytume
    That's interesting stuff you've found there!

I shoot 6x30+ and stretched an enlarger to cover the negs, so yes it can be done ok if you're prepared to do the work. I usually print mine a metre long, at that size they're less than 4 times enlargement and extremely sharp.

If you want I can print a few negs for you to give you an idea how they look.

attached is a pic of the enlarger.

Clayton
    Holy smoke! I'm not sure I could even fit that in my darkroom! Did you make that entire enlarger from scratch? Are there plans for it or did you just improvise?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoPete
    Holy smoke! I'm not sure I could even fit that in my darkroom! Did you make that entire enlarger from scratch? Are there plans for it or did you just improvise?
    I stretched a 4x5 out to 4x14........no plans, just improvise.

Clayton

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Here's a neg carrier with a single 120 frame in it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails printing4.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am deeply impressed.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield
    I am deeply impressed.
    Kevin........my next project......when I get time, is an 8x20 enlarger. I have 2 identical 8x10 colour heads that I plan to merge into one head, will have 2400 watts of light.

A problem I have with some of the panoramic formats, 717 abd 820 specifically is the prints are a little on the small side............a 2 times enlargement should make them spectacular.

Clayton

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    By the way........10 years ago when all the good gear was expensive these type of projects weren't possible. Today with enlargers practically being given away anything is possible!

Clayton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin