Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,231   Online: 981

Shooter
    35mm

Printing Black Borders

Ok its simple enough . . . . Well not really given the gear I have.

I use a Nova 6 12 easel to print borderless prints however I would like, with my high key images, to print a black border. SAw a nice way of doing at the photo club last night. and that is to make a Lith neg by photographing a black border, enlarging it onto lith film and then exposing the paper using the lith film in a second enlarger. and then make the print in the usual way. Just one problem . . .. No room for that second enlarger. Someone else mentioned that there was a supplier of laser cut aluminium masks that you just laid over the latent image and then exposed with no negative to form the border.

Anyone any idea if these masks are still available? and where I could get them? A Quadro Easel is well out of my price range . . .even if it is a nice piece of kit.

Regards

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't know about the special masks but you could try using a straight edge such as a rule and some black card if you just want the black to be along the edges of the paper. Use the straight edge a few mm from each edge of the paper in turn after taking the negative out of the enlarger. The black card protects the rest of the print from the light - tape it to the straight edge.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just cut a piece of heavy card stock 1 inch shorter on each edge than my paper size and place it so that the bottom right corner is aligned with the bottom right corner of the print. Then I expose at wide open for a few seconds to blacken the opposite edges. I then move the card to the upper left corner and repeat the exposure. This results in a 1 inch black border all around the print in just two quick steps. To change the width I just use a different piece of card stock with a different amount trimmed off.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Following with Randy you can also fuzz-up the edges of the cardboard (or matboard) to get the dirty/unique edge effect.
    The Darkroom Studios ~ Brad Walker
    27 North Centre Street ~ Merchantville, NJ 08109
    856.488.1546 info@thedarkroomstudios.com
    "Film Ain't Dead Yet!"

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for these suggestions, Must admit that Card would be the easy choice. . . . Only problem is that I can't cut card square or with a really 'sharp' edge to get a nice crisp line. . . . . I may have to resort havings some red opaque plastic cut to fit . . . . Or bite the bullet and buy a Quadro Easel.

Regards

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy red paper.
    The Darkroom Studios ~ Brad Walker
    27 North Centre Street ~ Merchantville, NJ 08109
    856.488.1546 info@thedarkroomstudios.com
    "Film Ain't Dead Yet!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mask sets are frequently available on eBay (even now).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Go talk to your local frame shop. You can probably get them to cut it for you for not too much $$ or they might have a piece lying about that is already the right size.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin