Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,548   Online: 1128

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A quick contrast reducing (unsharp) mask will make your dodging and burning a lot simpler. Give it a try, it's really not very hard.
    If you can get it right, this method is very effective, and I've done it with 35mm negs!
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Looks a lot better to me Andy...good work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal
    Dear Andy,

A quick contrast reducing (unsharp) mask will make your dodging and burning a lot simpler. Give it a try, it's really not very hard.

Neal Wydra
    Yes, I have used unsharp or contrast reducing masking with 35 mm ...it works. The effect is exactly opposite of preflashing...USM compresses the shadows upwards...Preflashing compressed the highlights downward...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Much better, Andy. Only one note. Be carefull to clean your negatives from marks, dust, small hairs, etc. Or you will have to spend time for retouching...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks haris, the dust etc is on my scanner glass. I should clean it, but really I don't care, lol!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Andy one question. As me too use Meopta (magnifax 4 with Meochrom colour head - older model) how you make preflashing. I never did that before, and untill decide to buy or not to buy preflashing gadget, I would like to know how practicaly to do that. And as you use almost same equipment as I do...

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Haris, no special equipment required.

I figured the preflash time by placing coins side by side along the length of a test strip of the paper I was using.
    I then set the f/stop of the enlarger to f/22 and set the timer for five seconds.
    I then moved a mask along the test strip one second at a time, I then developed the test strip.
    I repeated this, with shorter times, until I had a strip where the coin outlines toward one end did not show, The point where you can barely see a coin shape on the paper is the preflash time.
    I determined this for my paper to be around 0.25 seconds @ f/22.
    I have a Viponel analogue timer which allows me to set for 6 seconds or 60 seconds by flicking a x10 switch (see attachment), so setting for 0.25 seconds was no problem.
    Then when it came to the print i did the preflash with no carrier in the enlarger, and then exposed the print as normal.
    Last edited by Andy K; 10-23-2005 at 10:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Andy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No problem Haris, this was the first time I used preflash too!
    Last edited by Andy K; 10-23-2005 at 10:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin