Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,681   Online: 738

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images

Durst M605c: filter broken?!

L.S.,

Trying to figure out why my printing times (2 seconds for an 8x10inch print at f/11) were so short. I compared my Durst M605c to my sisters' enlarger, who owns the same model. It struck me that the amount of Yellow and Magenta were far more visible on her groundplate than on mine (and yes I did check that the filters were swung in the light-path; there is some visible yellow and magenta filtration but simply not as much as in my sister's enlarger).

Did anyone have this problem aswell? Is it possible to take the colour-head apart and solve the porblem? Just thought I'd ask, before I break it!

Thanks in advance,
    Jeroen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jeroen,
    Not having a Dusrt enlarger I can't speak from experience on that model.
    However I've got a Focomat v35 & two color modules. They're not that difficult to dis/re assemble. Would it be possible to compare the two modules side by side & see if there are any alignment or adjustment points.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer
    Jeroen,
    Not having a Dusrt enlarger I can't speak from experience on that model.
    However I've got a Focomat v35 & two color modules. They're not that difficult to dis/re assemble. Would it be possible to compare the two modules side by side & see if there are any alignment or adjustment points.
    That was indeed my idea, but hopefully someone will be able to tell me whether it is "safe" to disassemble the head myself. I know for example that, with the Leitz V35, you should be very carefull disassembling the mount that holds the focotar as a spring will pop out and is very small and hard to place back into the place it belonged. So before I get such a surpise... I hope that someone can tell me he/she disassembled the Durst M605c head without any stuff breaking or popping out :-).

Thanks for your contribution though!
    Jeroen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    On my Durst M605, there's an additional magenta filter that can be flipped in just in front of the bulb. It's controlled by a switch at the rear of the head. Perhaps it's engaged on your sister machine and not on yours? It's just a wild guess - it doesn't really sound like this fits your problem.

The M605 head is not that hard to take apart. I took it apart to find out that the cyan filter was stuck. I didn't manage to fix that, but putting the head back together wasn't hard.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I’ve disassembled both the Durst CLS1840 and the CLS501, and both were very similar and easy. I would expect the 605 to be similar as well. I would check to see if the dichro filters are completely extended at max values, and then completely retracted at “0” values. Also check that the diffusers below the dichro filters are in place. And finally, are you using the correct bulb? 2 seconds at f11 for an 8x10 is way too short.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a pdf manual for the M605 if you are interested. It says the supplementory filtre that can be swung into the light path via the knob behind the head is "equivalant to equal parts 40 yellow and 40 magenta in the colour mixing head"
    It could acount for the extra colour and longer times, but like psvensson said, it may not be your problem and is just a guess.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psvensson
    On my Durst M605, there's an additional magenta filter that can be flipped in just in front of the bulb. It's controlled by a switch at the rear of the head. Perhaps it's engaged on your sister machine and not on yours? It's just a wild guess - it doesn't really sound like this fits your problem.

The M605 head is not that hard to take apart. I took it apart to find out that the cyan filter was stuck. I didn't manage to fix that, but putting the head back together wasn't hard.
    Thanks! That is re-assuring. However, I found another way to 'solve' the problem. I sent the head to 'Heiland':

http://www.heilandelectronic.de/html...grade_main.htm

to have a splitgrade module installed (I already own a controller for another enlarger, hence this step was cost-efficient).

By the way, my sisters colour head does not have an additonal magenta filter, and mine has (apparently mine is older as I was told).
    Thanks again,
    Jeroen

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield
    I’ve disassembled both the Durst CLS1840 and the CLS501, and both were very similar and easy. I would expect the 605 to be similar as well. I would check to see if the dichro filters are completely extended at max values, and then completely retracted at “0” values. Also check that the diffusers below the dichro filters are in place. And finally, are you using the correct bulb? 2 seconds at f11 for an 8x10 is way too short.
    I am using the correct (100W, 12V) bulb. I can't check the filters anymore as they will be 'ripped out of the head' soon (see post above this one). Thanks for your contribution though!
    Jeroen

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bon-jip
    I have a pdf manual for the M605 if you are interested. It says the supplementory filtre that can be swung into the light path via the knob behind the head is "equivalant to equal parts 40 yellow and 40 magenta in the colour mixing head"
    It could acount for the extra colour and longer times, but like psvensson said, it may not be your problem and is just a guess.
    Thanks, I am VERY interested in the manual, I will PM you with my e-mail address. However, it sounds a bit silly that the supplementory filter swings in both 40 yellow AND 40 magenta... these values will compensate eachother, no?! I thought the filter was for extra magenta only!
    Thanks again, Jeroen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As you'll soon see it says in the manual that the filtre is to be used "when the maximum setting of 130 is insufficent" I have never used it but it would be interesting to see if you could squeeze a higher contrast out of a print, even with the extra 40 in yellow. I actually have a print in mind that I might have to try it on now that my curiosity has been sparked.

Jason.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin