Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,520   Posts: 1,645,600   Online: 852

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A disappointing beginning

Ok, so I bought an 810H De Vere enlarger a number of years ago. Last spring, I re-did the basement to accomodate it and installed it. This took months, as the floor was uneven, I had to build an alignable frame to hold the vacuum easel... And I had Tony at Lightwave in London craft me an adapter so that I could use my RH Designs Stop Clock Pro with the enlarger. So tonight I've finally got everything ready. The chemicals were mixed... I plugged in the RH timer and hit focus. Everything came on correctly, and so I focused the enlarger. Next, I changed the timer over to 'test strip' and went to get a piece of paper. When I got back to the enlarger, all of the lights on the Stop Clock were out. I checked the fuse and tried plugging the timer in elsewhere to no avail. Nuts! That was my favorite piece of darkroom equipment. This wasn't a very auspicious beginning for my 8x10 enlarging!

-Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Metronome?

It would work until you have things fixed with the RH time.

Mike Davis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Peter, sorry to hear about the trouble, it must be frustrating. I just have a question. Have you unplugged the enlarger and anything else plugged into the stop clock pro and tried turning it on? Just an idea but something may be loading it down...

--John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi John,

Yep, I gave that a try. Unfortunately no go.

Mike, that's a good suggestion. Unfortunately I don't have a metronome. I do have other timers that I can use, but they aren't f-stop timers. Yeah, I know. I'm really spoiled.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It would appear that electrical load design parameters were inadequate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter,

What do you mean by adapter? Sounds like you will need to use something between the timer and the enlarger. An AC relay is a simple way. The timer controls the relay coil and the enlarger is connected to AC through the relay contacts. You would need the enlarger current to size the relay. Sort of old fashion but simple. Hopefully your timer will be easy to fix.

Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you run a computer in the darkroom, the software from here (http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/fotolab.htm) is useful. The Dry-side software includes an f-stop based test strip calculator. Enter the base (middle) time, the number of steps and the interval in stops (0.3333 for 1/3 stop, 0.2 for 1/5th stop etc) and it will calculate times for each strip. I use my laptop with a red acetate, cardboard and gaffer tape slip-over cover on the screen...

Failing that you can download a PDF of an f-stop exposure table from the writers of "Way Beyond Monochrome" here: (http://www.darkroomagic.com/library/library.htm).

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckP
    Peter,

What do you mean by adapter? Sounds like you will need to use something between the timer and the enlarger. An AC relay is a simple way. The timer controls the relay coil and the enlarger is connected to AC through the relay contacts. You would need the enlarger current to size the relay. Sort of old fashion but simple. Hopefully your timer will be easy to fix.

Chuck
    Hi Chuck,

The adapter is simply a cord with a plug on one end that fits into the De-Vere timer plug, and on the other end it has a fixture that the timer plugs into. Lightwave are experts with De-Vere's, and so I'd think that it'd be done properly. It's my understanding that the circuit in the enlarger already contains a relay. I had to replace it when I first got the enlarger to get the head to power on. The enlarger does seem to work ok with a couple of De-Vere timers, but I've lost footswitch capability and F-stop timing. I'll look up some of the f-stop tables.

Thanks, all, for your suggestions.
    -Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Peter!

Have you tried emailing the people at RH Designs with this problem? They may have a suggestion or two as well. I guess if the enlarger manufacturer is still around I would emailing them as well.

Hope you get it all working together. I know I'd be lost without my StopClock Pro.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think the timer failure has anything to do with the electrical load if the fuse is still ok. You would have blown the fuse on the timer before any load would have effected it.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin