Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,565   Online: 987

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    Jumpingjuhosafax! You know, I actually have Les' book AND I have the Adams trilogy! I've had those books for ages, I forgot about them! LOL.

I'm also going to take a good look at the other recommendations.

Thank you so much, Art.
    You’re obviously the proud owner of a brain like mine. Now what did I come in here for?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Near Eckernförde (Schleswig-Holstein, Germany)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Tim Rudman has a good printing book. Not the lith one. Can't remember the exact title. Master printing something
    The title of Tim Rudmans book is: The Photographer's Master Printing Course.

Rainer

Images
    "Creative Elements" by Eddie Ephraums has been a tremendous help to me in understanding the printing process as well as understanding how decisions are made to print in a certain way.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Few months ago I also asked such question in the forum and I was suggested to read:
    1. Creative Black & White Photography by Les McLean http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
    2. Way Beyond Monochrome by Ralph W. Lambrecht, Chris Woodhouse
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
    3. Larry Bartlett's Black and White Photographic Printing Workshop http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...585523-4374029
    4. Tim Rudman's http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/185...books&v=glance

I ordered all four of them and found only position 3 answering to my expectations. 4 is also worth to have just as general reference. Books 1 and 2 i put on the farthest bookshelf just to never open it again.

Friend of mine also recommends http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books, but i cannot say anything about it.
    Best regards,
    Evgeny

Shooter
    35mm

not a book, but...

The last thing you (might) have to do is to go to other people's shows and take a close look at their work. Think about the lighting; for example, what kind(s) of light source, do they use for their displays?

It's important to check back and forth between your darkroom and other places like that, not to manupilate but just compare and learn to evaluate yours by yourself. You will learn the quality of your prints with your own eyes eventually. And I don't think any books really mention that.

Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, since I was in the city today, I found a great book: The Master Printer's Workbook: A professional Guide to B&W Darkroom Techniques by Steve Macleod. Really great examples with very detailed technical explanations for each.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm no master printer but I would highly recommend "Edge of Darkness" by Barry Thornton and "Way Beyond Monochrome" by Woodhouse and Lambrecht. Being relatively new to photography and darkroom work, these books were of immense help in modifying and tailor fitting my developing and printing methods. Unfortunately Barry Thornton passed away a couple of years ago but his book revolutionized the way I define image quality and it steered me away from my "ultra fine grained" image fetish and more towards acutance and sharpness. Along with help from APUG members I found that these two books allowed me to improve my printing methods in leaps and bounds.

Shooter
    35mm
    I will give you the name of 2 good books. The Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller...A must read book for the inspired darkroom worker...and Les Miserable by Victor Hugo...for consolation when everything in the darkroom seems to turn to dreck.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First of all, I am unfortunately no master printer (yet .

I find the book "The Master Printer's" by Steve Macleod to be a good one. It's not die-hard technical or anything but shows the image, a sketch and a some text on what was done to achieve the result. Between the images are also more text about the technique in general.

Content:
    1 darkroom planning and contruction
    2 film
    3 exposure and development
    4 film processing
    5 from film to contact sheet
    6 paper processing
    7 advancing from the basic print
    8 printed borders and keylines
    9 split-grade and flashing techniques
    10 print toning and toners
    11 lith printing
    12 the demise of the darkroom

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/288...books&v=glance

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    Especially on Split/Multi Contrast Filter Printing. I want to do it well. I suck at it, I just don't think I'm doing it properly or not getting the theory straight or both. I need books. Help!

Regards, Art.

Les Mclean - a worthwhile investment!

And... it's actually in (plain & simple) English!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin