Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,007   Online: 862

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Konical - thanks! I'll give it a whirl!
    Satin - yah! I've actually thought (before I bought the Beseler) of using my Crown Graphic as an enlarger ;.) . . . but as with so many things Photo, while almost anything can be "DYS", I've found that the people who have engeneered and provided a product usu. have good reasons for doing so, and to invent the things ourselves often leads to us finding out what issues the makers of products have already solved (I thought about, for example, making my own strobes.... I do have access to some pretty good electric gear... but in the end.. it would be more cost effective just to buy the dam lights ;.)
    Thanks again to both of your thoughts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's neat to know that this works. I'm going to agree with what others have said; if it works, do it.

I mean, photography is a field of experimentation ... there really is no method that is considered "acceptable" or inacceptable". Hell, in a field where people are developing film with coffee and tylenol mixed with lye, and taking pictures using a film box with a pinhole in the from, using lenses in an enlarger is quite normal.

The enlarger that I use is a "hacked" filmstrip projector that I rescued from the dumpster behind my town's high school, so my philosophy is "whatever works"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dave is right about the Graflarger option. You can pick them up for a song on eBay. In the alternate, I have a 4x5 camera back made by Beseler to fit on my 45M that is superb with the enlarger for copy work. Lots of lenses will work both ways if you are not to picky about some weakness or distortion in the corners. Had a Wolensak 190mm enlarging lens that I regularly threw on a Graflex RB D. Got some great shots, and enlarged on an Elwood. Did the same thing with a taking Kodak Anistigmat. It all depends on the effect you are after and are satisfied with. Look at some of the classic photos of the 19th century and think about the equipment that produced them...
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Shooter
    35mm
    Although it does not fit your circustances I beieve thart reversed enlarging lens will work very nicely for macro work and a reversed marco lens can serve very well for an enlarging lens.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the actual benefit was with yesterdays thick films the light rays would leave a 'shaft' of silver particles at the angle of the lens. Using the same length lens and the shaft would be aligned properly. I haven't heard this suggested anywhere it's just and idea of mine.
    This might actually still hold true with ultra-wide angle lenses but I am too lazy to do the calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb

It used to be common practice to use taking lenses for enlarging, on the theory that you could correct some of the faults of the lens that way, but in practice, this usually isn't true.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin