Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,587   Online: 817

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Haris,
    the enlarger is a Meopta Opemus Standard. It should be able to print up to 6x6. The problem is that the condenser lens is not its own; probably it was replaced by the original owner with some other: when I put a 6x6 negative in, the projected image is severely vignetted. The bulb is 75W already
    The lens is a Komura 50mm f4.5 which has f22 as minimum aperture.
    The timer I use is my own Sector watch which has fluorescent lens

Bob,
    Yes, you've got good memory: we discussed about the filters already. Need to find some time to buy and try them. Maybe I should even go a bit higher with the paper size....

srs5694,
    The error that I keep revisiting is forgetting to stop down the lens after focusing
    Of course I did that also :P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't feel bad. Last week I fogged nearly 100 sheets of Kentmere fiber paper when I flipped the lights on and realized I forgot to shut the lid on my paper safe. More than a few vulgar words were shouted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lawton
    Don't feel bad. Last week I fogged nearly 100 sheets of Kentmere fiber paper when I flipped the lights on and realized I forgot to shut the lid on my paper safe. More than a few vulgar words were shouted.
    Oops, fogging 100 sheets of fiber paper -- I guess the word filter of the forum software would not allow you to elaborate on the specific swear-words used at that moment.

While I seem to be the lucky one regarding the accidental fogging of paper, which never happend to me, I once dropped a film negative into the paper developer basin. I panicked and nervously tried to get it out of there. Being an idiot, I had the impression that some sort of hydrochloric acid will eat up my valuable film within fractions of a second (I scored badly at chemistry back in school). Result: I spilled the entire developer, 2.5 liters, on the floor and my trousers. Which really sucks if it's a parquet hardwood floor...

@sterioma: Congrats and great to hear you liked it! Though I made my first print around 15 years ago, I still do feel a lot of excitement whenever I'm in the darkroom, I'm not one of the guys who (can) do that every day. I love watching the print in the developer (as long as it's in the basin), and just like a kid on christmas I can't wait to turn on the room light with the print in the fixer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sterioma
    the enlarger is a Meopta Opemus Standard. It should be able to print up to 6x6. The problem is that the condenser lens is not its own; probably it was replaced by the original owner with some other: when I put a 6x6 negative in, the projected image is severely vignetted.
    Condenser enlargers need condensers that are matched to the lens, which in turn is normally matched to the film size. It's possible that the condenser is the original one (or at least a genuine Meopta condenser), but that it's intended for a 50mm lens and 35mm negatives. This would produce vignetting such as you describe. To do 6x6, you'll need another condenser, but if you want to enlarge two or more negative types, you might want to change condensers whenever you change film types to obtain optimum results.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    The error that I keep revisiting is forgetting to stop down the lens after focusing. Sometimes I remember as I'm making the exposure, in which case I chuck the paper immediately. Other times I remember after I've put it in the developer.
    I'm with you on that. Keeps happening to me. I get these black, black sheets of paper appearing in the developer and then I mentally kick myself.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had an Opemus Standard some (many) years ago!

It looks as if you have the 35mm condenser set. I had the MF set in mine, and used it for all sizes. Come to think of it I still do the same, with a 6x6 mixing chamber in the colour head of my Opemus 6...

I suppose it shouldn't be impossible to find a 6x6 condenser set? I had difficulties getting (affordable) condensers for my Durst 138S, but eventually got them from an ebay seller in Australia!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just bought an enlarger myself and I printed for the first time two weeks ago. I'd say you're doing very well to have come out with 10 good ones - I made 15 poor ones and 5-6 solid black ones.
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Congrats Sterioma!
    Do you have room under the lens for a neutral density filter?
    That would increase your times.
    For focusing, use the back side (the undeveloped white) of one of the test prints of the same thickness sitting in the easel. I do this and don't need a grain focus up to 20x24. White construction board also works.
    I do color, without safelights, can you imagine my first attemps!?! :o
    Good luck!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I managed to scan my first "decent" print:
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...00&ppuser=1297.

Please not that I was using my Zorki4k for the first time: not that much used to the rangefinder world coming from the SRL, and in fact the framing is not that perfect :rolleyes:

I will look around for 6x6 condensor, then. Actually I don't even have a 6x6 camera now One thing at a time, as they say

Not sure about room for the density filter: should I look for the filter screw in the lens itself?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The "Standard" was made for using filters attached to the metal bolt under the lens - like the red swing-in filter.

I believe there was an accessory filter drawer for it too, but I haven't seen that outside of the manual. That was intended for CC filters for colour printing, I believe.

PS: The old Ilfospeed III G3 I tried a little while ago is exactly 3 stops thick. I wondered why I got such soft prints and needed so much exposure, until it occurred to me to try the other side of the paper!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin