Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,418   Online: 832

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    glad to hear you had fun I think everyone has had there share of problems the first time in a darkroom I always have fun every time I set up my darkroom. I'm days away from trying colour for the first time can't wait.
    one thing that i have found is if you show a kid how to use a darkroom they are hooked and the skills will live on
    It wouldn't be any fun if it was easy.
    But does it have to be this much fun!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Congratulations on your first (analog b/w) print! May you mark your calendar (in memory of the Glorious Event) and forge bravely into a future of passionate creativity - of the dr bob variety!
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep that first print. I still have mine. It was crappy and is now discolored because of bad processing but it was the first magic I ever did. I still have it here somewhere in a folder. I haven't looked at it for several years but I remember it well. It both reminds me of the thrill and keeps my perspective when I am teaching someone new.

I have printing for 40 years and still get a rush seeing a print appear in my tray. For maybe 5 or 6 years I use to print color also but gave it up. I liked a lot of the work I did but found no joy in the darkroom. Developing in tubes was just a long, dull chemistry project.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Welcome!

I'm relatively new to the world of printing as well - I've been at it for almost a year and find it a really enjoyable experience. Every Sunday, I spend the evening in a darkroom. Something about the darkness and wordlessness (if that makes sense) is incredibly relaxing. I spend my days working at a computer and teaching classes at a local university (I'm a grad student) so getting away from all that is something I find very necessary.

Which isn't to say that I don't get incredibly irritated when things don't go my way. A speck of dust that I don't notice until I've spent hours getting an exposure perfect really sets me off.

Anyway, you'll find that your exposure times will increase as you gain experience working with the equipment. When I first started, I noticed that I rarely had paper under the enlarger for more than 10-12 seconds at the most. But as you learn how to work with filters, etc. that will start to increase significantly. Not that I'm an expert, of course.

Good luck! Have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sterioma
    Haris,
    the enlarger is a Meopta Opemus Standard. It should be able to print up to 6x6. The problem is that the condenser lens is not its own; probably it was replaced by the original owner with some other: when I put a 6x6 negative in, the projected image is severely vignetted. The bulb is 75W already
    The lens is a Komura 50mm f4.5 which has f22 as minimum aperture.
    The timer I use is my own Sector watch which has fluorescent lens

Bob,
    Yes, you've got good memory: we discussed about the filters already. Need to find some time to buy and try them. Maybe I should even go a bit higher with the paper size....

srs5694,
    The error that I keep revisiting is forgetting to stop down the lens after focusing
    Of course I did that also :P
    Well, when I used Opemus 5 I used 6x6 condenser and mixing chamber for both 35mm(50mm lens) and 6x6(80mm lens). Did you put lens properly? I mean for example for my earlier Opemus 5 I must put 50mm lens inside of lens carrier, and 80mm outside. I mean, for 50mm lens I must turn lens carrier 180 degree of its "normal" position and then to screw lens in.

To try to show: For 80mm lens I must put lens in carrier like this: )- (mark ")" is lens carrier and "-" is lens). But, for 50mm lens I must put it like: this: (-.

And for my Magnifax 4 )- is for 105mm lens and (- is for 50mm, 80mm and 90mm lenses.

Try contact Meopta. I was able to find everything needed for my Meagnifax 4 and before for Opemus 5, at Meopta. Both my enlargers are long time out of productions, but Meopta still have parts for them. I bought glasless negative carriers, mixing chambers and condenser lens for 35mm (my enlarger came with 6x6 up to 6x9 condenzer lens) two years ago for Magnifax 4. So try Meopta, they maybe still have original condenser or other parts you need. And prices are low, atleast were when I bought mine accesories.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Haris,

is it possible that the vignetting is due to using the 50mm lens with the 6x6 negative mask, or should I expect to see the whole frame even with the 50mm lens? (sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but I am a complete newbie as far as enlargers are concerned )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sterioma, sorry for late answer, I don't have internet connection at home...

To be honnest I didn't try to use 50mm lens for 6x6 negative. Me too posted simillar question to use 80mm lens for 6x7 negative (normal shoud be 90mm). I was told in my case there is no problems. I belive you will rather have probelms with distorsion not with vignetting with 50mm lens for 6x6 negative. But, again, I didn't try so this is my thinking, not fact.

I belive your problem in first place is caused by wrong condenser. Try to get condenser for 6x6 negative. And use 80mm lens. As I told before, those thing in these days are so cheap, I belive you should not have problems to buy them.

Using 50mm for 6x6 mask I think can "capture" mask but not vignetting image. But, as I said I didn't ever used 50mm for 6x6 so this is just my thinking, not fact.

Again, with todays prices you should really get propriate dondenser and 80mm lens. If Rodenstocks, Schneiders are too expencive, try Meopta Anarets. While 50mm Anaret I had was not good lens, 80mm Anaret I had is good lens. And it is cheaper, new or secondhand, than Rodagon or Componon-s. I think for 100 or 150 USD (or even less)that both condenser and lens would cost, you really should buy them and avoid probelms you have now. Atleast that is what I did. I bought condensers, mixing chambers and lenses for all negative sizes I use.

Saying above: Meoptas Opemus 5 I used before had only one condenser and only one mixing chamber. It has not option for changing condenser or mixing chamber. U used it for 35mm negative and for 6x6. But, I used 50mm, lens for 35mm negative and used 80mm lens for 6x6. I had problems with 50mm lens (light falls on one side of print), but when I replaced that lens for Rodenstock 50mm lens my problem was gone. Never had problems with 80mm lens.

So, try to get 80mm lens and condenser for 6x6. I think this is best you can do for beginning.

And do contact www.meopta.cz. Every issue I had with Meopta enlargers and theire products I had, even if my equipment is long time out of production, I was able to solve contacted Meopta.

Shooter
    35mm
    You just had to try it-didn't you. You poor soul now you too are hooked for life.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm

Printing for the First Time!

My daughter is teaching me how (better late than never, I guess). I have a lot to learn, but what a rush!

Pamela

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just made my first set of wet prints yesterday... since early 80s in college. Ah......

Funnily enough, I made some RC and fiber prints of the same images, and two people I asked gave the slight nods to the RC prints. Perhaps it's the Matt (RC) vs. Glossy (fiber) difference. Also comparing to the fine arts ink set paper I have, the wet paper have a much whiter base!

Yay!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin