Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,952   Posts: 1,586,004   Online: 780

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use an Opemus 6 with colour head. While not the smallest enlarger, it's quick to set up and to pack down in its box after use.

The quality is very good, even the Anaret-S lens is better than anything else I've tried!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW, I broke down and bought a used Philips PCS130 with PCS150 color controller via eBay. It's $74 delivered to my door, and as delivered it should handle 35mm and 6x6, with 6x7 possible with another condenser (which might be hard to find, so if the OP wants to do 6x7, he should look for one with that condenser set from the start). It's not arrived yet, but it looks flexible and interesting (it uses an unusual additive color system rather than the more common subtractive filtration). It's got a 40-inch column, which might or might not be a problem for the OP. This model seems to pop up once a week or so on eBay. (Note that the PCS2000 is similar in some ways, but it's a diffusion enlarger that only supports up to 6x6.)

The comment about Eastern European enlargers reminded me that I've seen occasional eBay auctions for a Soviet model that folds up into a suitcase. Try searching on "(Russian,Soviet) enlarger" on eBay to find these. Actually, I just checked, and here's an auction for one. The ad doesn't specify what formats the enlarger supports, though, and I've a suspicion it won't do anything bigger than 35mm. Still, for compact storage, it'd be hard to beat!

Perhaps the OP could chime in with some more specific information on storage requirements. What are the big constraints? (Column height, baseboard width or depth, weight, etc.?) Are there any hard limits (columns no more than 35 inches, say)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    The comment about Eastern European enlargers reminded me that I've seen occasional eBay auctions for a Soviet model that folds up into a suitcase. Try searching on "(Russian,Soviet) enlarger" on eBay to find these. Actually, I just checked, and here's an auction for one. The ad doesn't specify what formats the enlarger supports, though, and I've a suspicion it won't do anything bigger than 35mm. Still, for compact storage, it'd be hard to beat!
    I have one of these, although the lamp and carrier housing on mine looks older, more the shape of the oval lamp on earlier Leitz models (but obviously nowhere near the build quality). It does 35mm or smaller only, and the lens threads are not standard. Very basic and the lower end of the quality range. I haven't attempted to use it yet.

Just for information, has anyone seen Meopta in the USA? I've seen their spotting scopes and binoculars advertized some places, especially online in the US, but can't recall ever having seen a US darkroom distributor or the enlargers for sale here. But I haven't been in the market for an enlarger for over 25 years, so I could have missed a lot.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 11-22-2005 at 02:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L

Just for information, has anyone seen Meopta in the USA?

Lee
    Freestyle had been selling them up until a couple of years ago, but don't list them any more.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Don't know why nobody have mentioned the awesome AGFA Varioscope 66.

goes to 6x9 and the light and lenses are great and easy to use.
    I think they are cheap enough..
    I just got two as a gift, as nobody seems to want them anymore..
    go figure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin