Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,662   Online: 840

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Smallest, cheapest enlarger for MF

I have been printing 35mm with a Durst F30 in my bathroom. It's small and lightweight and was dirt cheap on EBay - my ideal setup really except that it wont do 120 film.

Is there an enlarger that will let me do both MF and 35mm and be cheap and compact - I need to fit it into a closet after use and so compact and light is good!

As for format, I want to do mainly 6x6 negs from my yashica mat, I also shoot 6x9 pinholes with a modified Brownie 2a but that isn't essential if it adds to the bulk and cost.

If I might add another naive question to this - I notice Arista sells something called a Holga enlarger. I would expect this to be junk but let's say I stick a Rodenstock or Nikkor lens on it - what would be the effective difference in quality between this and a real enlarger?

Thanks,
    -Anupam

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hello, Durst F60 with the 75 condenser is a nice small enlarger. Cannot do 6x9, though.

Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a review on the holga enlarger at:

http://www.shutterbug.net/test_repor...lga/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the link. Hmm vignetting at 6x6 certainly won't do - so I guess that's out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Consider the Saunders 6700.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't recall having seen an MF enlarger that goes to 6x9. I know that several go to 6x7, but it seems that by the time someone is making a 6x9 format enlarger, it's close enough to 4x5 to go all the way there. Perhaps it's just that 6x9 is a rarer format, whereas there's enough of a 6x7 user base, Pentaxes, Mamiya RB/RZ, etc to justify a 6x7 enlarger, which is only slightly larger than 6x6 square.

Rollei / Honeywell / Nikor made a decent 67 enlarger that was relatively small and light, and I've seen a few of those floating around at swaps. Got one with a color head but no power supply for $30 bundled with an Agfa Isolette recently. This one comes apart with two wing bolts, one column to base and one column to head. Very quick to reassemble. Actually, if anyone has a 6x7 negative holder for one, I'd be interested.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a LPL C7700 which comes apart for storge very easy. You can remove the head from the column and the column from the baseboard in about 2mins or less. The 3 pieces can then be stored in spots that a intact enlarger wouldn't fit.

I had a Durst M601 that was fairly small. I used to store that in a cupboard but you need the height in the cupboard for the column. I use to sit it on the floor under a clothes rail.

EDIT : I best read the question... A Durst M601 can only handle up to 6x6 negs. Scratch that one. I do have a early Meopta Magnifax that does 6x9 and is actually more compact than the M601. It has a fairly small baseboard and is quite heavy for it's size, but still moveable.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Just a suggestion.

You should check out your yellow pages for local high schools or arts colleges in your area. Ask around for good, used gear.
    I mention this because a school upriver from my city closed its wet darkroom down and has 4 high end Omega enlargers on hand. Even my local arts school is slowly ending the darkroom aspect of its photography program so more equipment will be on the market. I picked up this information at the local coffee shop and it pans out as true.
    It can,t hurt to get on the horn and put the word out. Heck,I placed an add in the paper 4 years ago for an enlarger and got 15 hits in 2 days. Lots of gear stored away in basements and closets.

Good Hunting,
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    I can't recall having seen an MF enlarger that goes to 6x9. I know that several go to 6x7, but it seems that by the time someone is making a 6x9 format enlarger, it's close enough to 4x5 to go all the way there. Perhaps it's just that 6x9 is a rarer format, whereas there's enough of a 6x7 user base, Pentaxes, Mamiya RB/RZ, etc to justify a 6x7 enlarger, which is only slightly larger than 6x6 square.
    The Beseler 23C goes to 6x9.

Check ads on places like Craigslist. I got the 23C and a 67C for $40 total (including a couple of lenses and old spiders...).

I also picked up a 4x5 and a 5x7 enlarger for free (minus the cost of renting a van to pick them up). Granted, the guy who got rid of these had about 30 poeple interested. Since I could do a local pick-up, I won.

There are more enlargers out there than users.

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L

Lee

I have one of the Beseler 23's that goes up to 6x9. It's not that much smaller than a D-2, though, which does 4x5...like your post says... whereas 67 enlargers are significantly less bulky (an Omega C700 is probably about half the size, and half as heavy - although that's an entirely unscientific estimation).
    Nate Davis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin