Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,267   Posts: 1,534,339   Online: 748

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ... and a side question: would it be a problem if the easel was bigger than the enlarger base?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Stefano,

Unfortunately, my language skills are quite limited (my sister has all that talent in the family<g>) so I really can't tell what the listing actually says. If it will accept 16x20 paper with a small border it is a very good deal. I would jump on it. If those are the outside dimensions than it still may be an honest deal and a worthwhile purchase. My concern is that the scale on the long axis goes to a reading of 14 on both ends and the short axis to 11 on both ends. Theses easels are designed so that when you use the same value for both blades, the image is centered in that direction.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sterioma
    ... and a side question: would it be a problem if the easel was bigger than the enlarger base?
    I have no problems with easel bigger than enlarger base.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Big easels are a pain when making smaller prints. Lets not even mention the huge Beard easel I got a "deal" on. I'd need a big 8x10 enlarger to use fully.

A four blade with slots in the middle for the paper won't be much easier to use with smaller prints. The middle of the easel needs to be more or less under the lens. A big easel you can't move around means no cropping.

Doesn't Fotoimpex have flat rate shipping to Italy?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The text indicates that the easel is 40x50cm with 5cm borders, and while the photograph is not all that clear - it must be digital (sorry, couldn't resist!) - it appears to me that the markings on the horizontal axis indicate a center of 0 and progressing out to 14 at both ends (28cm total). Frankly, I can't read the vertical markings, but I agree with Neal that it appears to be more square than rectangular.

I found a reference to a Beseler 28 x 35.5 easel - which leads me to wonder if perhaps the advertiser has exaggerated the size of this easel.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nice easel but too pricey for used easel. I just bought a Saunders 11x14 4-blade easel on Ebay for $65. I already have a Saunders 20x24 4-blade. I think 4-bladeis the way to go if you want one easel that is versatile.

I have never seen a 2 blade worth getting. You can't really adjust the borders because 2 of the 4 borders are fixed.

Also, I would get an easel one size larger than you think you need so that you have options in the future.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter
    I already have a Saunders 20x24 4-blade. I think 4-bladeis the way to go if you want one easel that is versatile.

I have never seen a 2 blade worth getting. You can't really adjust the borders because 2 of the 4 borders are fixed.

Also, I would get an easel one size larger than you think you need so that you have options in the future.
    I echo these comments!! The day I started using a 4-blade I thought I was in heaven.
    Also strongly agree with getting an easel 1 size larger (or more) than you think you will use as things always seem to change (for the bigger). I have an 11X14 and I really wish I had bought a 16X20. I also have a huge 20X24 that I got a great deal on but as of yet have not used it as it doesn't fit in the enlarging stations at school. Wouldn't want to use that big one all the time anyway. Still I wouldn't trade it as I do want to print 20X24 - have the paper : )
    If I could only have one it would probably the 16X20 but since I am not limited.......??
    I say GO FOR IT you won't regret it

Beckie
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype]Remember each day as a blessing, be grateful and live happy![/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A lot depends on the size of print you want to call your "standard print". I make 8x10's and 16x20's nothing else, so my Saunders 4 blade works wonder full for what I do. My whole therory of photography is "if you can't make good prints, make them big"!!!! :-) I also love and use borderless easel's
    for display prints. Charlie..........

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=jeroldharter]

QUOTE]

I don't know... On my easel two fixed sides have adjustment for borders, so it can make borders from 5mm to 2,5 cm size on both fixed sides, and on moveable sides choices are not limited (within given easel and papers size of course)...

And I agree about problems with big easel for small prints. Thats why I bought (also 2 bladed and also Meopta, used) 18x24cm easel...

Huh, I just realized I am only talk about Meopta. Well, for us in (former) Eastern Europe that was(is) easiest to get and become almost standard...

Shooter
    127 Format
    We originaly bought a moderatly expensive ($100+), moderatly large ajustable easel. It seemed a good idea to get one big enough to handle anything we might need.

Turns out 95%+ of what we print is 8x10" or 8x8"

I got a REALLY CRAPPY plastic 8x10" fixed size patterson easel. No adjustments. I got it as part of a job lot 5x4, 8x10 and 16x11 for about $30. It is absolutly fantastic. The paper slides in from one side: no more miss aligned paper - it's just not possible to put it in wrongly.

I also came by a smaller adjustable easel which is pretty permenantly set at 8x8. If I could trade it for a fixed size 8x8 I would. It's still too easy to misalign the paper, but it's way less hassle than the big one.

It's a bit like having huge developing trays - they seem like a good idea "just in case" you decide to print big", but they're a pain once you get them. By all means get a large adjustable easel - it's great to have it available, but if most of your prints are small(ish) then a dedicated small one is more practical.

Of course YMMV - depending on how much space you've got and how large you typically print...

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin