Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,628   Online: 958

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "... and a side question: would it be a problem if the easel was bigger than the enlarger base?"

There is no problem with a large easel on a small enlarger base. A much bigger problem could arise with a large easel being too big to use effectively with a smaller enlarger. You have to center the easel under the head of the enlarger to center the image on the easel. If your enlarger's upright gets in the way, you cannot center the image. Many enlargers without an angled upright will cause this problem.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 127
    Of course YMMV - depending on how much space you've got and how large you typically print...
    Not much space, actually: I use the smaller bathroom in my house and everytime I have to set things up from scratch of course and tidy it up afterwords.

About print size, well... I have just started with 10x15cm Since I print from 35mm, I guess 30x40 would be the upper limit, but 20x30 sounds more reasonable as a "big" print for me. At least for some time.

Thanks again for your comments, keep them coming!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you may find that 16x20 is nearing the limit of top quality 35mm prints. Larger of course can be made, but a lot tender loving care is with out a doubt necessary. I find I can't afford to use larger sizes as the ratio of keeper prints to those consigned to trash basket can very quickly get very high. It can be done, but for most, it is just plain hard work!
    Charlie..........

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adjustable easels are useful if you are going to make irregular sized prints. They give you the flexability to crop the image for best effect. If you just make full sheet prints with white boarders, the Ganz Speed-Ez_Els are hard to beat. If you don't make prints over 11X14, a two blade easel is cheaper and easier to set up. The key here is whether you have room on the enlarger baseboard to position the easel. For big prints or limited baseboards, the 4 blade easel is needed. You can set the blades up to cover just about anywhere on the image, although the borders can be troublesome. You pay dearly for these, and the price goes up rapidly with size. Don't buy anything larger than the biggest print you will ever make. For most people (and most enlarging equipment) that's 16X20. You also pay for quality, but you really appreciate it in use. The Saunders and Besseler easels both have good reputations.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin