Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,863   Online: 1100

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shopping for a used easel. What about this one?

I am shopping for a easel (I don't have any). What about this Beseler on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Is it fairly priced?

Thanks,
    Stefano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stefano, some food for thought.

You are starting out with your enlarging using RC paper. This paper doesn't really need a four bladed easel to hold it flat. Most RC paper especially what you are using, Ilford MGIV Deluxe / Satin. Ilford Multigrade is the same that I use. Sometimes the paper comes out with a slight banana shape, I just gently roll it on either side to straighten it out and I'm off.

When I use this paper (8x10" 203x250mm) I use a flat board (chip board) with a small lip attached on two sides. I marked out the majority of paper sizes up to 400 x 500 (12x16") and put 4 small rubber feet on. It's great for all of my RC paper work and I made it about 15 years ago.

The Beseler Easel in the picture looks pretty similar to some other brands I've seen in this country, but at a starting price of nearly $200 Australian I think it's not on the cheap side.

For your early darkroom needs, possibly a Jobo Varioformat easel could be quite handy, especially for doing tests and multiple prints on a single sheet of 8x10" paper. I have one of these as well and basically it gets used for making all sorts of different pictures on a single sheet of paper often. Check out one of these by googling.

Mick.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Stefano,

I don't know how the prices run in Italy, but I think this easel sells new in the U.S.A. for ~$175. 4 bladed easels are the most flexible in terms of cropping, particularly if you are going to make an odd size print to suit a particular composition.

Neal Wydra

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    We have several of these at the school (a nice gift from another source).

I find the fact that they are black to be a pain, but that is a personal thought, as a piece of paper takes care of that.

The price seems a bit high, but if that is what they bring maybe i should sell the ones we have, as they get little use, if any.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not able to help on the pricing either, but I agree that a 4-blade easel is the way to go if you can afford it. I used a standard 2-blade type for many years simply because they didn't cost as much. Once I finally got a 4-blade, I discovered how much more impressive the final print began to look when the image was centered on the paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also recommend a four-blade easel. But I have to say that I got by for 20+ years with a two blade easel. The difference is mainly a matter of convenience.

But this seems to be a fairly large easel - 16x20" in the archaic system of measurements our government insists that we use here in the US. If you are just starting out, I would expect that you would be concentrating on smaller prints, and you should be able to find a smaller easel that will cost less.

I bought a NEW 28 x 36cm easel for about the same that the seller wants for this used easel.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    So as not to avoid confusion and based entirely on the photo, the easel in question is an 11x14, not a 16x20.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    U bought new Meopta 30x40cm 2 bladed easel for 80 USD... Secondhand should be a lot cheaper. Me to wanted 4 bladed easel, but never be able to justify price...

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    oops ours are 16x20, but basically the same with regard to how it is used and functions.

by the way, the "arms" snap in place with a maganetic type of locking device

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal
    So as not to avoid confusion and based entirely on the photo, the easel in question is an 11x14, not a 16x20.
    Neal, the seller claims it's a 40x50cm (so I guess that would make it a 16x20 inches if my math is not wrong).

I understand this might be a bit big for a beginner like me, but you don't see too many enlargers listed in Italy: shipping prices from outside the country can be fairly high on these items.

Thanks every body for your comments by the way

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin