Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,562   Posts: 1,573,328   Online: 997

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Anyone familiar with the FUJINON-EP 1:56/90?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by avandesande
    I'm never used a Fujinon enlarger lens, but from what I've read on the Internet, there are three classes of these lenses. The lowest grade is, IIRC, the ES, which are 4-element designs. The EP and EX are both 6-element designs, but only the EX is multi-coated. The EX lenses are reputed to be comparable in quality to Componons, 6-element El Nikkors, etc. Again, though, this is based on what I've read about these lenses, not personal experience.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Most people will tell you that whatever lens they use is the best. I use a Nikkor 105 for 6x6 and 6x7. I like the extra coverage with the slightly longer focal length. I never go larger than 16x16 inches from 6x6, an 8x enlargement. Realistically, unless you do HUGE enlargements, or crop viciously, any of the six element high quality lenses from Nikon, El Nikkor, Schneider, Componon-S, or Rodenstock, Rodagon or Apo-Rodagon, will give you great quality. I suspect that individual variation or enlarger misalignment is a bigger variable than basic lens quality.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by avandesande
    I have an EX version of the Fujinon and use it for 35mm enlarging when the print size is real small.

As far as I know of the Fujinon, not only the 90mm lens, but with the 50mm as well, it's the opposite of Nikkor, which I posted a similar comment on another thread.

It's safe to say Fujinon produces less grainy pictures, but I had to add that that has to do with the contrast setting of the filters also. Fujinon is good with Fuji contrast filters, and Nikkor with Ilford. You can play around, find more about it, and give us a report.

With the kind of negs I have, for 95 percent of the time I use a Nikkor 63mm. But with poor quality negs, I play with the Fujinon and that's better as a choice. So, what I expect on the Fujinon, I can't have with the Nikkor.

If you're happy with Nikkor lenses, stick to what you have and get backups. If you want something really new and different to you, Fujinon lenses can be handy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let's start with focal length. Although you will only be doing 6X6 negative at first, you may want to consider a lens that will cover the full 6X7 frame. In that case, you would want a lens in the 90 to 105mm range. The longer focal length limits the maximum size of the print you can make, however, so you need to look at how high you can raise the enlarger head. For an 8X enlargement to a 20 inch wide image, you will need about 33 inches for a 105mm lens, 28 inches for a 90mm, and 25 inches for an 80mm (normal for 6X6). In general, get the longest focal length you can live with.

As for brands, both Rodenstock (Rodagon) and Schneider (Companon) make excellent enlarging lenses. I suspect, judging from their other lenses, that the Fujinon enlarging lenses would also be excellent. Nikon (EL-Nikor) is also very good, and some of their older (but not too old, say 70s and 80s) products were outstanding. Bought new, a good enlarging lens can be expensive. But many are now available on the used market at very low prices. With the market the way it is, stay with the top quality brands mentioned above.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use an 80mm Rodagon. I am delighted with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin