Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,991   Online: 972

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you are really desperate you could make an interpositive and then reshoot it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the cellophane that boxes of tea are wrapped in passed in the light as you make your exposure sometimes will diffuse enough.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by matherto
    I have several portrait negatives that are sharp and I want to create a softer image. Medium format 6x6 b&w negatives, Omega enlarger, color head for variable contrast work. Printing on Ilford Multigrade glossy, fiber paper. Thanks.
    I use a combination of things, with varying results. The old standby for me is a nylon stretched over a coat hanger loop. Thin paper over the enlarging paper produces an interesting effect. Then there's smoke when it's warm and breath when it's cold. It all depends on the look and effect you want - they all make it look soft to one degree or another. There are many ways to skin this particular cat, it all depends on what you want to do with the skin afterwards.

Images
    The perforated plastic bread bags used for "crusty" breads works nicely. One thickness gives soft diffusion; two thicknesses creates more of the "bleeding shadows".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Charles,

Have you ever done any masking of camera negatives with lithographic film?

Indeed I have! Nothing I have used has really been much help since the demise of Pan Masking film. The lith masks are a lot of work in my opinion for the little amount of good they do. I used negative masking in color and B&W applications for some 21 years as well as using a matte box under the enlarger lens for multiple images on a single sheet. I am no stranger to the masking processes. Even so I don't consider myself to be an expert at it, or at anything else for that matter. I do not say anything that has not been proven to work by myself and others working full time in the field. Charlie.............

Shooter
    Large Format
    Charles,

Thanks for your response. I am not saying that it will or won't work. I want to give it a try...perhaps in the next week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin