Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,408   Online: 929

Shooter
    Multi Format

A Genuine "How are these printed" question. Acutally, a few questions...

I just spent the most I ever spent on a book (and we buy lots of books each year) on this, Don Hong-Oai' Photographic Memories
    http://www.photoeye.com/Gallery/form...age=1&id=96098

Not the limited edition one, that I cannot justify. Any way, any ideas how one get that Chinese pictorial style effect and how he adds the calligraphy and the "chop?" Minus Photoshop of course.

How about James Whitlow Delano: http://www.jameswhitlowdelano.com/bio/bio.html I have his Impressions from China book, and the images are... extraordinary. He shoots with a Leica but have no idea how he prints...

Any pointers etc. would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Pushed film as there is little or no shadow detail and it is diffused either in camera or in printing. Can`t tell which on a computer screen.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The first photographer prints composite images using two or more negatives much like Jerry Uelesmann...albeit more oriental type images.

The second photographer may either be printing the shadows down in printing or underexposing the film...I would almost think that he is printing down. The diffusion is more typical of diffusion at the printing stage then at the time of exposure. (deep values bleeding rather then highlights bleeding)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    How about marshall oils for adding the characters to the print.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the prints are traditional gelatin silver on fiber I would bet the characters are done in ink. As far as the softness of the images, this is usually done during printing with either a mask on the film or a diffuser under the lens.

I really love the wrok of James Whitlow Delano. I consider him to be one of the real new "stars" of photography. His work demonstrates a very real human touch that is very rare in documentary work today.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    If the prints are traditional gelatin silver on fiber I would bet the characters are done in ink.
    If you look at Don Hong-Oai's limited edition book you see that the accompanying prints are Iris prints so they have probably been digitized to add the characters, OR the final print after creation of the composite and the addition of inked characters were scanned and then outputted on an Iris so that all prints would be the same.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin