Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,766   Posts: 1,516,435   Online: 956

Shooter
    Medium Format

Making Slide Dups with an Enlarger

I want to make dups of my 6x7 slides, but can't afford the Pentax 67 bellows and duper. I am considering using Fuji or Kodak 4x5 film and using my 50mm Componon-s lens to project, them do the E-6 in Jobo drums.
    Anyone ever try this??? Is there a way to go directly to 120 roll film other than the Pentax system???

Shooter
    Large Format
    Using the enlarger color head and lens as your light source, you could contact print the slide onto 4x5 slide film, or you could make some sort of a light-tight box to hold roll film, and contact print the individual slide onto a small section of film, repeating with a different slide until the roll was filled.

If you have the Pentax 67 camera and lens, you could buy (or make) an extension tube for the lens and photograph the slide on a light table with appropriate color correction, or even use the enlarger color head turned upside down as a light source.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I routinely make internegatives or dupe slides with my enlarger. The problem is that internegatives tend to turn out better than dupe slides due to the curve shape problems in pos-pos systems, and the lack of color correction.

I use about f22 at 0.5" with a daylight balance (~100C 30M) and use daylight balance film (ISO 160) for my exposures. This gives me a good neutral scale, and I use a slight pull process with my negatives to reduce contrast. Nothing much you can do with reversal. I have stopped doing reversal dupes due to the problems.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've made a number of 35mm slide dups using my Omega B color head laid upside down and the 50mm enlarger lens as the camera lens. Use Kodak slide duplicating film and adjust color balance via the color head. You did not indicate what type of enlarge you have - the Omega B is a 6 X 6 cm. Omega makes a special plate that fits where the head would normally be that takes a Tmount for whatever camera body in use. If you can find a similar Tmount for your 67 body modification of such a plate would not be extremely complex.

Side copies made this way are dead on - many people cannot separate the original from the dupe. Projection as you originally indicate is also a possibility. However slide duplicating film is an emulsion setup all to itself and has much different response than "daylight" film. You'll need to buy a significant quantity of material as the color balance varies from batch to batch and once figured out you'll want to stay with a batch for a while.

I've also made 35mm slide dups of 6 X 6 cm slides - for a photography convention and got good reviews. A 100 foot roll of Kodak or Fuji slide duping film (enough for about 18 - 36 exp. rolls) runs less than $60. In larger formats costs will go up very quickly. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can make your 6X7 dups with your enlarger and 4X5 duplicating film. You have to do some test shots to calibrate the duplicating film. Its like making some 1 to 1 enlargemets but instead of paper you use duplicating film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin