Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,961   Online: 769

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter
    I dry my FB prints face down on Zone VI screens. The screens are clean and the darkroom is a dedicated space that is as clean and dustfree as it will get.
    Jerald,
    Without any probems, I have been drying my prints face-down; they are fiber base. IMO you have a dirty screens. Try washing them with a mild alkaline solution of washing machine bleach (like Clorax). Then wash them thoroughly with water. What I do is first take out the screens and hose them down; then, take a rag and wash them with a weak solution of Clorax. Then a final hosing down of the screens. I do this once, sometimes twice-a-year.
    Good luck, I think you problem will be solved.
    Bob
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    I use my home-made drying screens for my FB prints, always facing down. No problem. I've used dustier darkrooms in the past, but I didn't have the problem that you have.

I get some dust on some prints after they dry, but when I touch the surface of those prints, I use the same type of cloth that's used to clean negs, etc. And that's all I can do, and that does the dust-removing job.

If something is stuck there, you will have to do the wash again.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I am getting frustrated with my print drying screens. I dry my FB prints face down on Zone VI screens. The screens are clean and the darkroom is a dedicated space that is as clean and dustfree as it will get.

Nevertheless, I have been getting little bits of dust stuck to the paper surface. Maybe it is more noticeable lately because I have been making prints with alot of black which shows up the dust. Also, I have noticed for the first time that an imprint of the screen gets embossed into the emulsion of the prints which ruins them.

I have thought about hanging my prints to dry but that presents its own problems.

So the question is: am I better off sticking with the screens but placing the non-squeegeed prints face up? Thanks.
    I've been using Zone VI screens for years with no problem. Drying face down makes the prints a bit flatter, but there's not problem drying them face up, either. Just squeegee the print in either case.

The screens should be washed from time to time. I keep mine stored in the original box when not using them and have not had any dust problems.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Did you recently acquire a pet???
    Those who don't think Photographers have the skills of REAL artists such as painters obviously have not had to spot my prints.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rexp
    Did you recently acquire a pet???
    ...a dust bunny?

When it warms up again try a power wash or car spray wash with soap.
    If you don't want to wait, try a shower.

It could be worse. In an earlier post Fintan was trying to clean screens with wooded frames. Warp and weight.

John Powers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No pets for me. I appreciate all of the help. I hope I can get in the darkroom this weekend and test a couple of things.

Why do many of you advocate using a squeegee vs. minimal handling?
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No pets for me. I appreciate all of the help. I hope I can get in the darkroom this weekend and test a couple of things.

Why do many of you advocate using a squeegee vs. minimal handling?
    Removing the surface water on both sides does seem to help it dry flatter as you don't get the excess water pooling in one place as the print dries. I just give each side a light pass with the squeegee with the print on a sheet of glass. I am only taking the surface water off, not trying to squeeze the water out... Back first, then the front before putting face down on screens. I rinse the squeegee before each print in warm water to keep the blade clean and supple.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You would be surprised how hard you can buff a print... Sometimes we get some lint stuck to prints when running them through our print dryer... and a bit of buffing with those handy Ilford anti-static clothes can do amazing things. However of course those black areas are tricky.

If your Q-tip technique is leaving marks, I would reccomend steaming the affected area.

HTH?

Corey

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Are you using a hardening fixer or a non-hardening fixer? I suspect a print fixed in a hardening fixer will be more resistant to imprinting the screen than an unhardened print.

Of course, the penalty with a hardening fixer is longer wash. Maybe fix, wash, then harden, then wash.

I've used heated dryers, prints face up, with a hardening fixer bath with no imprint of the canvas on the print.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've used the Zone VI print screens, with prints face down, squeegeed. Never had a problem with the screen pattern showing up on the print. I give the prints a good thorough squeegeeing - gentle on the emulsion side, harder on the blank side, to get a reasonable amount of water out. Between the squeegeeing and the drying face down, my prints normally dry quite flat, unless they dry too fast. Then they curl like the dickens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin