Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,244   Online: 800

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AN glass

Shooter
    Multi Format

AN glass

I bought glass to make sure my MF film is kept flat in the enlarger. One of them is anti-newton glass. Is it really possible to print sharp pictures with this? I mean, when you look through it everything is blurred?

Does it matter if the AN-glass is above or below the negative?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The AN glass should be placed against the base (shiney) side of the film, with the emulsion facing conventional glass. In an enarger, that would place the AN glass on top, then the neg with the emulsion facing down, and then the regular (optically clear) glass on the bottom.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Christian,
    You can print sharp pictures provided the AN glass is fitted above the negative.

Regards
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ralph, I'd call this a draw 8-)}
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cvik
    Is it really possible to print sharp pictures with this? I mean, when you look through it everything is blurred?
    When I used Pan F years ago, I had an instance (several instances actually) where I was getting newton-rings on the emulsion side of the film, such was the fineness of the grain. Anyway, I used an AN glass top and bottom with the nagging feeling that I would get some kind of interference pattern or similar in the print. But not a bit of it! The final print was as sharp as using an AN glass on the top only! This is still the system I use todayand I don't feel there are any sharpness issues with my prints.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have found that with a good negative carrier just a single piece of glass taped above the negative gives results indistinquishable from using glass both top and bottom.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have an AN glass on top in my Durst Sirioneg carrier. I tried using plain glass below, but that gives me Newton rings. I also tried AN glass, but the pattern shows up in the prints. Ended up with no glass below. It's still sharp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the answers. I'll probably just use one AN-glass above the film - two less surfaces to keep clean. I did suspect it wouldn't cause blurry images if placed above the neg. After all the lens "reads" the film and what happends above the film is not really important.. but then again the difference between a condensor and diffusor is above the negative and that does have an effect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Christian, one of the things I use in my darkroom is sticky tape, to hold MF negs flat across the film hole.

If I'm only doing moderate enlargements (10 to 15 times the size of the neg) then I find that is sufficient.

If I'm going to do really big enlargements, then over the years I've found I really do need to use glass on both sides and ensure that the neg is perfectly aligned with the baseboard/easel. Otherwise it is extremely hard to get the whole image sharp.

Actually the tape I use is called, removable magic tape. It is the same stuff as used on post it notes. It's also very handy for removing bits of dust from negatives without damaging the emulsion.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Durst M670 enlarger and I always use the antinewton glass when printing. It keeps the film flat and I have no patterns in my prints.It is the AN glass made by Durst for that enlarger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin