Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,566   Posts: 1,646,530   Online: 860

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Holding film in filed-out carrier?

I'm going to buy another negative carrier and file it out for full frame 120 prints, but I've been wondering how I would hold the film in place. It's okay if it's the middle negative in a strip of three, but if it's one of the end ones, how can you hold it flat in a filed-out carrier?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin,

I have never used 120 film, but with 35 I always managed to find a way to get a small piece of masking tape on the edge of the neg but not in the way of the filed out portion.

g

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How much are you going to file out? The mid roll cut edges usually have a little bit of film base around them.

Or, make sure you never take a decent shot on whatever number negs are on the edges of the film and any mid film cuts This would be negs 1,5,6,10,11,15 for my Mamiya 645... in fact I probably managed that without even trying

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For some reason, the frame I want to print is almost always the end one. I finally have a filed out 120 and there hasn't been an issue, yet. It depends on how much space your camera leaves between frames, but MF seem to leave a bit more than 35mm. Just don't file too far and check as you file. I'm working on one that I keep having to take more out of, but I'd rather do that than try to figure out how to add back. This is also why I have more than one.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Watch out with the masking tape. El-cheapo will leave stick-um residue on the film and holder. You want drafting tape or artist's tape. Scotch #185 painter's masking tape is fine. Even if the film is supported by the holder I use tape to pull it flat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Why bother filing out a carrier, why don’t you simply tape a negative to a carrier glass? Use low tack masking tape to hold the neg in place. Alternatively fit a top and bottom glass to your carrier and forget the tape.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm! I'm using a jury-rigged 6x6 Omega D carrier on my Durst Lab 184 (10x10) and it works works great as I just have the filed edges outside the square of the image and the Omega D2 is a 2 piece unit and sandwiches the edges of the negative--no tape for me!! I love the look---my wife hates it!!--Imagine that!!!!!! You can also try Dave millers suggestion in using glass carriers and you can always make a paper mask if so inclined!!
    BTW--I'm one of those purists that try to compose in camera and print the full square from my RolleiFlex and Hasselblad negatives---I'm just not inclined to crop as I prefer the square!! My wife let's me know right away what looks good but then she likes those softy cheepo glamour shots looking kids pics and I shoot 6x6 thru 11x14--she can't see the difference in a contact print either vs. a p&s digital (cheap one at that)---sheesh!! No respect!! I get no respect!!
    Joseph Burke
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    JosBurke,
    I find myself in total agreement with your wife. I also hate the look!
    But then I do know the differences between the other things you mentioned!
    In no way do I say you a wrong with what you like, I am simply on the other side of the fence and do not believe that a filed out negative carrier will deliver more "purity" (what ever that is?) to a final print. In the past the technique mentioned by Mr. Miller served the same purpose and did not destroy a carrier in the process. Have a great day!

Charlie.............................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks all for your replies. I guess the simple thing to do is to file out enough but not too much, so that there is still some rebate which can rest on the edges. Your comments are much appreciated.

My first choice is a 4x5 glass carrier with cardboard window to black extraneous light.

Second would be a filled out one with 2 1/4 slide projection glass installed. This is what I use for 35mm except I use 35 slide glass top side only. These prints are sharper corner to corner than any open carrier filed out or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin