Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,372   Online: 851

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Huh? Strange blotch on print...

I finally, after several months, was able to get back in and play in the darkroom. Everything seemed to be going nicely, but when I looked at one print in the light, I noticed a strange looking blotch on it. (See attachment)

My first thought was back to the negative. Perhaps I screwed up its developement or something. After re-inspection, I didn't see any problems with it. The blotch doesn't appear on any other prints from that session and, because I thought I got this one right, I didn't make any additional prints of this.

Any ideas? I'm still scratching my head...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tire-Chains-02.gif  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    did you scratch the print with the tongs while is was being processsed (you'd probably be able to feel it with your fingers now)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For some reason that part of print was not properly in developer. Maybe some grease (from fingers or like) or drop of sveat from your head or something else, or just you didn't put print properly into developer. Maybe damaging of paper when taking out of packadging, can be many reasons. And as you said you checked negative and negative seems OK, simply make another print. I had simillar probelm about 15 days ago, and in my case paper wasn't properly placed into develping tray. So, I made another print which was OK. No reason for scratching a head, simply make another print...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What kind of paper are you using?
    I had similar problems with some rebranded Forte polygrade that apparently had a coating defect at the end of a batch that wasn't caught before packaging. After a bit of research, the vendor has offered to replace it. Has this happened on any other prints? When did the blotch become visable? My spots showed up immediately during development. Hope this helps.
    Cheers

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had an occasionally recurring blotch like this...

It turnes out to be grease from the hinge on my easel which ended up on my left little finger whenever I adjusted the margin to a larger size.

Almost drove me crazy finding out how I sometimes got grease on one finger, after figuring out why I sometimes had blotches on 8x10" and 9.5x12" prints, but never 5x7" and smaller...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some modern B&W papers contain developing agent(s). If you get any moisture on the print, the developing action is retarded where the developing agent is washed away by the moisture. This can leave a spot of lower density or no density.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys!

All of your suggestions are very possible in my case. Yup, my finger rests against the hinge of the easel. It pretty sure that I didn't get the paper (Ilford MGIV) wet prior to development, but in a 5x9 foot space with running water on one end, you just never know...

The easiest solution (and the required one) is to make another print. My query here was to try and identify the culprint, so as not to repeat the mistake.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    Thanks guys!

" It " pretty sure
    That's what happens when my fingers fail to type as fast as I'm speaking....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    That's what happens when my fingers fail to type as fast as I'm speaking....
    My tongue often gets in the way of my eye teeth and I can't see what I'm saying. Particularly if my tongue is in my cheek.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin