Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,455   Online: 1068

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    ...the cold head on the E3 takes a set of 4 strait mini-tubes ...
    Matt
    No kidding! I had a 4 X 5 with the same arrangement. Bought
    it surplus back in the late fifties. So they still make a straight
    multi-tube design. IIRC mine used 5/8 inch tubes.

Your's may use the newer 1/8 pencil thin tubes. Those tubes
    are much used now days. What ever the diameter, buy four or
    more and plug them in. Shop from Google or maybe eBay. Or ..

Switch to Graded paper and skip the new tubes and filters.
    I dropped VC for the higher level of darkroom lighting possible
    with Graded paper. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by papagene
    I use a 40ccy in my enlarger. I have an ancient Beseler with a custom (for it's time) cold light head. The 40ccy in conjunction with MG VC filters works just fine with VC paper.
    Good luck.

gene
    I agree with that. I've worked on my dad's cold light with a 40ccy filter, and it's just peachy. Now my problem is that I can't find a bloody such filter in photo stores down here, so besides the auction site, what would be a good source?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    calumet has a couple of different sets of cc filters. I use their filter in my enlarger.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been split filtering under a "looks white" Zone VI cold light; I get normal contrast with normal negatives at about equal exposures of the blue and yellow filters. I'm using Lee theatrical filters, the 100 Spring Yellow and 119 Dark Blue (I wanted 795 Magic Magenta, but they didn't have it locally and ordering it in would have cost too much and taken too long for my needs). Bonus: two "half sheets" of this material cost about $15 plus the gas to pick them up, and each 20x24 inch half sheet is enough to make twelve 6x6 inch filters, or forty-eight 3x3 size.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Calumet sells the Roscoe Lighting Gels. They are cheap. Come in large sizes. Cut them up, put in cardboard frames, and use above the negative.

The man at aristo gaves me the values of green and blue to buy for each grade and it worked out fine.

Or use regular VC filters under the lens after the green is above the lens to cancel the excessive blue. Pull the green out only if you can`t get highh enough contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford's PDF on Contrast control (here) says to use a 40Y filter with the Aristo W45 lamp. It also has a table of exposure factors for the different grades.

Cheers, Bob.

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe Howard Bond had an article Photo Techniqes not long ago about this. The Arist V54 lamp and MG paper is for me an excellent combination. A broad range of contrast easily obtainable and it prints VERY fast. So fast that I need to use the Aristo controller/rheostat to keep exposures in the 3-4 second range at f11.

I agree with above. Contrast is well controlled with the V54 and MG. I had to use the Aristo dimmer to reduce 3 stops and I put a sheet of paper inside the light.

It has high actinic content but dim visually.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the replies and advice!

I got a set of warm (3000K color temperature) bulbs for the cold head. Luckily, the Omega takes regular, strait tubes, so it cost about $10. That was before I started testing them and found that none of them would start. Starters are about US$0.40 on the net...but about $2 each from the hardware store! I got them and found that they didn't help. A closer look showed that there is a lever built into the head to keep the bulbs from starting when it is taken apart! Ah well, an $8 lesson.

So, I have new bulbs, a new cord (the original looks to be really old. The shock I got indicated that it should be replaced!), but no time tonight to try it with the variable grade paper.

So, with luck, I will have some reasonable prints shortly!

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    matt -

do you have the shutters that came with the enlager?
    from what i remember about the e3, there was a shutter because
    the bulbs were not "quick start" ( like the big round omegalites that were on the e4 and other later models ), so the bulbs remained "on" all the time and the exposure was controled with a shutter instead.

if you need parts &C for your enlarger, there is a place in canada ( http://www.khbphotografix.com/ ) that either still has them, or may be able to fabricate them for you. when i was looking for a spring-glass carrier for my e4, they were going to make one for me for less than i could have bought one used. from what i understand from people who know this outfit, they have a stellar reputation

good luck!

-john

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin