Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,773   Posts: 1,484,389   Online: 1078

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve,
    Try this http://www.projectbasho.org/index2.html
    It is in Philly but I have not researched it all.

One other place in West Chester is the Chester County Art Association. I have taken many classes there and know the people well. http://www.chescoart.org If you are interested let me know and I would be happy to introduce you to the photography instructor.
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve,
    I just thought of another place that may get you hooked up. The Print Center http://www.printcenter.org/
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto
    There is a workshop on Fine Art Black and White Printing at Peters Valley Craft Center in June. Several on gum, daguerrotypes, Pt/Pd, cyanotypes, kallitypes, etc. Check out http://www.pvcrafts.org
    I got very excited when I went to th site and saw that they were right around the corner from me. The workshop topics had me salivating...but alas, tuition seems a bit steep. They're probably worth the money, but not within my present budget (the family minivan needs tires).

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Steve,

What do you expect the workshop to give you? I ask this as seriously as I can. One of the things that can enable photographers to make great prints is to know what a great print looks like. I would recommend spending some time looking at great prints in the flesh. Gallery or Museum. That is the path. The other path is work. Compare what you turn out with what you would like to turn out. If they don't look the same in quality then find out why not. I like to stress that great prints come from great negatives. If you are willing to travel to Tx we could try and setup a fine print workshop with Les for sometime in August.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    The workshop topics had me salivating...but alas, tuition seems a bit steep. .
    Joey -

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the tuition prices at Peters Valley are very reasonable when compared with those of more famous schools (eg, Maine Photographic Workshops).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you don't mind the drive, look into some options around good ol' B'more (Balmer, Baltimore etc). There are several very good programs in that area, offered as continuing ed classes. Pricewise, they start with Maryland Institute, College of Art at the top of the tree... then work their way down to places like Towson State, Loyola, and even little Villa Julie college has something. Points north of 695 I think also have things - Harford Community College if I'm not mistaken. You're more likely to get what you're looking for quality-wise in Baltimore City itself though. Back when I was taking classes there, some modern masters of photography were working at the various schools around the area. I think unfortunately most of the ones I know have migrated to Maryland Institute (unfortunately for the price, not for the students or the institution). I don't know if he'll ever offer a continuing ed class, or if he will ever do any private workshops, but if you do study at Maryland Institute and use their darkrooms, you'll probably run into Tom Baird, who is a genius printer and photographer, and a wonderful instructor to boot. He's a wiry old goat of a man, cut his teeth with the F64 crowd, is good friends with Ruth Bernhard, and he's always willing to give advice around the MICA darkroom, even if you're NOT his student.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    All,
    Thanks for the ideas. Im going to get to researching and I'll let ya know what I come up with.

Thanks again,

Shooter
    Holga
    I'm in the same GeoLoc, disposition and skill-level as the OP. Would love something in VA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin