Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,957   Posts: 1,522,976   Online: 1159

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Mid-Atlantic Workshops

All,
    Anyone have a suggestion for a mid-level printing workshop in the mid-atlantic region ? I know the basics, and can make a 'pretty good' print - but I am lacking the fine skills to make an excellent print. I have looked around on this site and found some basic workshops, but nothing at a mid-level.

Thanks !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try looking at local museum schools. I found a darkroom class at one up here. The instructors were great and I learned a lot.

Or maybe some of us on the east coast could cajole someone here into doing one nearby.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would also be interested if there is one, esspecially around the Virginia, North Carolina area.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Mid Atlantic? Wouldn't it be rather wet?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Steve,

Try local colleges and vocational schools. Some only want full time students, but in an effort to use their facilities as fully as possible most encourage “continuing education”. Many have senior discounts if you qualify. Locally one calls 50 senior. Send flames to Kent State not me. Others start at the Ohio state mandated 60+ program where all you pay is lab and parking fees. I take a full semester $1000 Advanced photo course for $90 in fees and $110 in parking. If it weren’t such a rough neighborhood I would be tempted to park off campus and bicycle in. Compare that to week long workshops and it is quite a deal for Ohioans.

Some have converted to digital. Some are still wet. If there are several colleges around you they most likely try to have different offerings. Don’t count on someone at one to give accurate information about what is available at others. For many the campus is a world to themselves.

Example: Cleveland, Akron, Kent area of NE Ohio. Univ. of Akron has wet Fine Art. Kent State has digital Photo-Journalism. Cuyahoga (Cleveland) Community College has digital. CCC used to have wet also, but I have been told that is gone. Someone correct me if this is wrong.

Good luck in your area,

John Powers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    All,
    Thanks for your help. Being that Philly is an 'art' town, I'll try my luck there.

Thanks again,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a workshop on Fine Art Black and White Printing at Peters Valley Craft Center in June. Several on gum, daguerrotypes, Pt/Pd, cyanotypes, kallitypes, etc. Check out http://www.pvcrafts.org

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbb
    Mid Atlantic? Wouldn't it be rather wet?
    That was my reaction; could book the QE2 or whatever mark it is now.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ah, you english will never understand ! No ship needed, just gaffer's tape your bag bellows into some swimming wings. Works like a charm =)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    That was my reaction; could book the QE2 or whatever mark it is now.
    It would do wonders for Les McLean's travelling times and costs and eliminate the need for dish agitation at the workshop. May do a little less for his colour and tones.

Pentaxuser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin