Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,112   Online: 981

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

1st time using glass carrier, Help please...

I recently obtained a glass carrier to use in my D5500 4x5 Enlarger hoping that more uniform flat negatives would improve my prints. The glass part of the carrier is about 5x5" so a normal 4x5 neg will have to be masked. When I picked it up at KHB, Kevin said that users normally make their own masks. Now that I am working at it. I have a problem.
    If I put black card in between the glass plates they do not close properly, rather defeating the whole purpose.
    If I put the card material on the outside, the light bounces around the gaps made by the glass plates.

Am I missing something? ...

Tim R

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use construction paper.

Mike

Just let the mask sit on the top. Will be fine.

If you want to get real picky, make a 5x5 by taping some totally exposed and processed negs together with silver slide binding tape that is super thin. now cut a hole where you drop in a 4x5 neg.

Before I made my 35mm one side glass, I used the 4x5 double glass with a mask on top and bottom outsides about 2mm bigger than the film image area. It was ok, but a pain to work with as the neg strip had to be oriented at an angle to clear the locating pins that were centered. They sell it as a universal glass carrier so 4 locating pins should be used to accomodate film strips.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I had a similar issue and black masking tape worked for me. If your negative carrier doesn't rotate for horizontal and vertical prints, you'll have to print your verticals sideways...that's what I do.

Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy
    The glass part of the carrier is about 5x5" so
    a normal 4x5 neg will have to be masked. Tim R
    What's the problem? Why mask? I use a glass carrier
    with my B8 Omega 21/4 x 31/4. Smaller negatives are
    centered then printed. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format

1st time using glass carrier...

Tim, what I have done for years is this: Buy some B/W sheet film, take one outside into the sun, develop it, it will be black. I then get a sheet of graph paper, measuring very exactly the size of the mask I need onto it, then I tape the film sheet to it and cut (with very very very sharp blade) through both film & paper from the paper side. This is probably the easiest & cheapest method. No problems with the neg carriers not closing! Once they're made, look after them & they'll last for years.
    -David.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin