Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,110   Online: 1085

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

What's up with my cold light head ( or VC filter problem)

Hello all

Last week I decide to try some VC Paper, you should consider me as a Graded paper fanatic. But I hear of the split grade printing method and I want to give it a try.

I have an old Durst 1000 with condenser light and Durst cold light head which I almost use. With my graded paper I get 10-20 seconds exposure for most of my work and I fine control the contrast with pre exposure, and developper.

But My problem with VC paper (I try Bergger which need long exposure time) is that for grade 2.5 to 5 I need about the same printing time but for grade 2 and under my printing time are far longer and worse than all exposure is different at each change of filter. for example for grade 1 I need to expose 40 second and then for 00 60 seconds.

I already use filter with cold ligth ( about ten years ago) but I never got such problem.

Regards
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As I am sure you know, you need to expose VC paper with yellow light to get low contrast. Some "cold-light " (cold cathode) heads are so blue that you cannot use VC paper at all, more modern ones are better but may still be bluish so that exposures through a yellow filter are disproportionately long. If you have the option of printing with a condenser head, this would be much better.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think mine is so blue .
    You well write what's happen to me. In fact he last Cold light head I've used was a Zone VI and I never got such problem.

I will go back with the condenser light and the yellow bulb to use this paper.

Thanks
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't remember where I read it, maybe here? On some coldlights you need a green filter on light source to change the blue output enough to use VC papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With older cold light heads (specifically with the Aristo W45 lamp), Ilford recommend a 40Y filter with MGIV. PDF labelled "CONTRAST CONTROL" on the Ilford site here: http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/bw.html

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those times you stated are normal for me, depending on what film, film size and how they were developed. I use a 40 ccy along with the VC filters and believe that that combination is the reason for my times.
    Good jazz playing on my little boom-box is enought to distract me so that I don't notice the longer times.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aristo now makes a V54 lamp for their heads which is a more blue-green color, balanced for VC filters. I use one, and do experience longer exposures, but with Forte Polygrade V FB it is worth the trouble, for me. Also, the information with the filters (I use Ilford filters) states a uniformity of exposure between most of the grades (except the extreme ends), which does not happen even with Ilford MG paper, I assume because of the light color. I still use the combination above and find it worth occasional total exposure time of 5-7 minutes (4x5 enlarged to 16x20 - including two filter exposures and some burning in) for the results I get.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for your answers

I will look for a 40ccy for my cold light, as most of my neg are developed for it. and I put back some miles davis or fela kuti songs in my lab

total exposure time of 5-7 minutes
    That's quite a long exposure as my Platinum print but I may appreciate this way of work. Should give it a try

best
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I 've jsut check the Ilford PDf and find interesting information about recalculating time when using cold light head with 40y filter . and also how change the cntrast with the use of the cold light head.
    Thanks again
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use an Aristo V54 cold light head in a Beseler. 8X10 printing times (from 4X5) run about 3 swconds. I mad a set of exposures using a calibrated step wedge fromStouffer, increments of half a stop, and found that I get a full range of contrast, including 5, according to the numbers in Steve Anchell's book on VC paper. This with Ilford MG fiber paper. I use a rheostat Aristo sells to attenuate the light; to ge the 3-4 second exposure above I cut the light 21/2 stops from f5.6. So I am delighted with this setup.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin