Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,581,990   Online: 831

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

LPL Light Leaks?

I sold off all of my darkroom stuff a few years back (bad idea) and now am re-acquiring needed supplies. I bought an LPL 670 enlarger in what appears to be excellent condition, but in just messin' 'round with things I notice what seems to be an unusually large amount of light coming from around the negative carrier, primarily the sides. Has anyone else experienced this and did it create a problem with fogging while printing? Thanks, Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chuck,

Just to be sure, after you put the neg carrier in did you raise the carrier with the lever? The one I had had some leaks around the back at the top of the head.

Hope this helps.

g

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have the LPL C7700, which I believe is virtually the same model, and yes, it has always had a fair amount of light coming out of the sides of the negative carrier, even when held in place with the lever. It's not really a huge amount of light, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by cbettis
    I sold off all of my darkroom stuff a few years back (bad idea) and now am re-acquiring needed supplies. I bought an LPL 670 enlarger in what appears to be excellent condition, but in just messin' 'round with things I notice what seems to be an unusually large amount of light coming from around the negative carrier, primarily the sides. Has anyone else experienced this and did it create a problem with fogging while printing? Thanks, Chuck
    I have an LPL 4550 and light leaks are not unusual. Since I do enlarged negative minimal reflected light is crucial to reduce flare and fog.

Briefly, be sure that the negative carrier is seated properly and that the throat of the bellows is closed. I had to make a 'skirt' from black photo tape to cover the remaining light seppage. Also I taped the bottom of the lens holder as there is light leaking there as well. A PITA but it works.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, the lever is raised. Sounds like this is normal but the idea of a skirt sounds pretty good. Thanks, Chuck

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have a Saunders 4550XLG/VCCE enlarger with light leaks at the negative carrier and elsewhere. I also have made a skirt with black tape around the negative carrier and other areas. There was so much light coming out of the fan exhaust that I had to make a hood out of a spray can lid to direct the light away from the enlarger area. Too much tape in that area caused overheating and early light bulb failure. You have to find a balance.

Search here and the Large Format Form website and you will find many comments about this problem in all models of LPL or Saunders enlargers. They are a very good product except for this problem.

John Powers

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 670CXL. Some light does leak from around the negative carrier but I've never found it excessive enough to fog papers. The only sure way to tell if the light leaking from yours will fog is to test it. I would do that before doing any modifications to the enlarger. If it ain't broke....

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    I have a 670CXL. Some light does leak from around the negative carrier but I've never found it excessive enough to fog papers. The only sure way to tell if the light leaking from yours will fog is to test it. I would do that before doing any modifications to the enlarger. If it ain't broke....
    I don't think anyone suggested modifying the enlarger. However you might be surprised in the different results you can see when eliminating even small light leaks!

Also when you print do you wear a black shirt? It makes a differrence!

Don Bryant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    I have an LPL 4550 and light leaks are not unusual. Since I do enlarged negative minimal reflected light is crucial to reduce flare and fog.

Briefly, be sure that the negative carrier is seated properly and that the throat of the bellows is closed. I had to make a 'skirt' from black photo tape to cover the remaining light seppage. Also I taped the bottom of the lens holder as there is light leaking there as well. A PITA but it works.

Don Bryant
    When I was attending a Sexton workshop 3 years ago Sexton pointed out that the LPL 4550 he used had light leaks as well —nature of the beast— so he used black micro-fiber cloth (available in most discount fabric stores) cut to fit the lens stage profile and held in place with velcro (I believe). Since the material can be cut without fraying or unraveling he was even able to fashion 3 flexible flaps at 90º for the negative carrier extension.

I have since fabricated a similar solution for my Beseler 45MX (talk about negative stage light leak!) using the same material attached with velcro, flaps and all, and am very happy with the results.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    There's a material called, "black wrap", which is a type of foil used to cover the light leaks from the barn doors of light units. You can buy it in photo supply stores.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin