Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,344   Online: 786

Shooter
    Multi Format

Opinions as to these enlarging lenses

As darkroom completion nears, I have started dragging out my garage sale assortment of enlarging lenses and cleaning them.

Just wanted to know if ANY of these lenses would be considered a better than average lens for my Federal 470 enlarger (no snickering please!);

1. Federal Ocatar 135mm f4.5 Anastigmat

2. 16,5 cm f4.5 Laack Rathenow, Doppel Anastigmat

3. 7.5cm f4.5 Fujinar-E, Fuji Photo Optical

4. 5 cm f4.5 Fujinar-E, Fuji Photo Optical

The Laack Rathenow, Doppel anastigmat is a wonder; wonder where the the heck it is from!

Anyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no idea on your specific lenses, but remember that some will be more suited to (or required by) different film formats. You look like you've got 35mm through to 4x5 covered (if that 16.5cm is an enlarger lens)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Kino,
    the Laack Rathenow is from a town called Rathenow (surprise!) about 100 km due west of Berlin in the German state of Brandenburg. In its heyday it was a center of German optical engineering. Not much optical industry left there anymore, although there is an eyeglass company.
    Regards,
    Hal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest the only way I can think of, testing them. I have never known of two lenses that had the same name, that were not a bit different in the results of the prints made with them. Test first, then sell!

Charlie.....................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hal9000
    Hi Kino,
    the Laack Rathenow is from a town called Rathenow.. (snip)
    Hal,

Many thanks for that bit of trivia! I knew it had to be an older lens, as it has bubbles in the glass; something a modern lens maker would never have sold!

Ah, as Charles Web says, test them! A no-brainer, eh?

Thanks to you all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Laack Doppel Anastigmat is a camera lens. It should be convertible, using one cell. I have a 90mm Laack lens that I thought might be an enlarger lens but it isn't much good for the purpose. That old Federal Octvar might surprise you, though.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin