Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,522   Online: 1038

Shooter
    Multi Format

DeVere 504 Dichromat, New Owner Questions.

Hi Folks,

I've just registered and here I am seeking help already!! I've bought a DeVere 504 Dichromat, I think it's an early model, Brown/Cream, 3 filter wheels which rotate vertically and Single lamp. I bought it used and don't have a User Manual so..

1. Is the Manual worth spending £25 on? what sort of information does it provide?

2. Would you recommend using glass or glassless negative holders?

3. If using glass holders, are they used with or without the metal masks?

4. Would a Viponel S15 timer be suitable, I have the plug to suit the Transtab transformer, or is there a specific timer you would recommend?

Thanks in Advance, Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not an expert, but I regularly use three De-Vere enlargers. So in response to your questions:

1. Yes, I thought so.
    2. Glass leads to better overall sharpness, but there's more spotting to do. I use glass.
    3. They are used without metal masks.
    4. I don't know anyting about Viponel timers. De-Vere timers are simple and work very well. (I have two spare ones.) The best timer, imho, is an RH Designs Stop Clock Pro, which is what I use with my De-Veres.

Regards,
    Peter De Smidt

Shooter
    Multi Format

halfsies - well, not quite.

if it makes it any more tempting... I'll throw in 40% if you send me copies... or 60% for the original.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Peter,

thanks for the information. I ordered a Manual from KHB Photo.

Re. the glass, do you get different sizes for different formats?

If I wanted to set-up to enlarge, say 6x6 rather than 5x4 (which is how mine is currently set up), what do I need to change? I'm thinking len's, probably lens board, anything else?

Richard
    Last edited by Iloca; 02-23-2006 at 08:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Richard, my De Vere 4x5 Dichromat has two light boxes for inside the head.

At the front of the head there is the little louvred slot that swings out to replace the light globe and check the filters.

In the middle there is a large cover that hides the light mixing chamber, you should have two, one for 4x5 and one for 6x7 (ish) and under. My cover is held firmly in place by two fridge type magnets that are quite strong, a bit of pulling is required.

I personally leave the 4x5 one in all of the time as I find it slows printing times by about a 1/3 of a stop, other than that there is nothing else you need to do.

Happy printing.

Ps:- is yours a tabletop or a free standing with the drop table?

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Mick,

mine must be a different model, it has a small cover for the lamp and filters which is about 1/3 of the total width of the head, the remaing 2/3 is taken up with a mixing chamber and fan. The mixing chamber has a small handle and clips into place, one clip at the front 1/4 way up from the bottom and another on the back.

Mine's a table top model but as I don't have enough headroom to set it on the bench it's set on the floor, a "low profile floor model" LOL

Do you use metal or glass carriers?

Cheers, Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The carrier frame can hold metal masks or glass plates. There's only one size of glass plates, 4x5. You can use the masking blades to cut down stray light when you use smaller negatives with the glass plates, or you can make an opaque mask with the proper size hole (6x6, 6x7, 6x7...) which you can sandwich above the negative. The metal and glass plates are beveled on two edges, and hence you have to get ones specially made, either from De Vere, or from a place like Focal Point in Florida.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Peter, I think I may go for the glass plates as the individual metal carriers seem quite expensive from what I've seen. I'll try to contact Focal Point regarding shipping to the UK. Looking forward to getting the manual as it should help fill in the gaps.

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iloca
    Thank you Peter, I think I may go for the glass plates as the individual metal carriers seem quite expensive from what I've seen. I'll try to contact Focal Point regarding shipping to the UK. Looking forward to getting the manual as it should help fill in the gaps.

Richard
    You might want anti-newton ring glass for the top plate. Another place to check is Light Wave in London. They have tons of experience with De Vere.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin