Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,470   Posts: 1,570,917   Online: 871

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ilford MG 500 or Aristo VCL4500?

Dear Diffuse Light Printers,

If you were to make a choice between an Ilford MG 500 or an Aristo VCL4500 heads, which one would you prefer? I'm interested in any major advantages/disadvatanges of either. Emotional preferences?

I do 4x5, mostly landscape. Due to circumstances, I will resume printing on VC papers (so far I used to use graded and an old cathomag head, now broken).

Enlarger is DeVere 504. I have a Zone VI timer with the light-probe gizmo.

Many thanks for your kind wisdom,
    R.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have an Aristo VCL 4500 head for my Omega D2v I use a metrolux II for a timer. The VCL 4500 is a nice head. you get a controller box that allows you to use the blue or green lites independently or you can mix them together. I would recommend taking the cover off the head before drilling the hole for the probe. The instructions are ok not great. I think it is a better head than the zone VI by a country mile.

lee\c

Images
    I had the 810 version of the VCL4500. Seemed like a good idea, but it's just not bright enough for me. I like exposures with the lens stopped down a few stops and 10 to 15 seconds. The VCL couldn't do it, even on 8x10s or 11x14s from a 5x7. Also, they are expensive. I use an Aristo V54 coldlight tube with filters, both Ilford MG type and lighting gels. This is easy, fast, and bright. For a timer, I'm using the Metrolux II -- a must with coldlight.

Sorry I don't know the Ilford MG 500.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have never used the Aristo but I can say I like the Multigrade 500 system alot. It is even better with the RH Designs Analyser 500 I got for it. Together it's an almost perfect system for VC paper.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin