Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,318   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

More d2 questions?

Okay, got my alignment issues solved, thanks to help here. Thanks to all.
    But, more problems. I have only the 4X5 condensers in my old d2, and when I put the flat lens board with an 80mm lens on, I get enormous light fall off in the corners of a 2X2 negative. I have read conflicting things. Some say the 4X5 condensers work ok with the shorter lenses, others say not. In my case they do not seem to work. Or is there something else obvious ( and stupid), I may be missing?
    I tend to think that I am missing something, as the guy I bought the enlarger from was a retired professional ( now dead), who said he did all his printing from 35-4X5 with the one condenser set. Surely he didn't use the 135mm lens for all formats?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Appel
    But, more problems. I have only the 4X5 condensers in my old d2, and when I put the flat lens board with an 80mm lens on, I get enormous light fall off in the corners of a 2X2 negative. I have read conflicting things. Some say the 4X5 condensers work ok with the shorter lenses, others say not. In my case they do not seem to work. Or is there something else obvious ( and stupid), I may be missing?
    I tend to think that I am missing something, as the guy I bought the enlarger from was a retired professional ( now dead), who said he did all his printing from 35-4X5 with the one condenser set. Surely he didn't use the 135mm lens for all formats?
    I would guess that he did.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That is my fear. It looks like it will cost more to get the right condensors than I paid for the whole rig. I have an old cold light head from a beselar 23c, and I may see if I can figure out how to adapt it on there for doing mf stuff.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That is my fear. It looks like it will cost more to get the right condensers than I paid for the whole rig. I have an old cold light head from a beselar 23c, and I may see if I can figure out how to adapt it on there for doing mf stuff.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Appel
    I am abit confused here. Only the 4x5 condensors ? The same condensors do all the work, it just depends on what slot they are located in in the filter bin.
    For example, if using a 150mm lens, you completely remove the tray condensor.
    For using a 135mm lens, you put the tray condensor in the top slot
    For using 105-90mm lens, you put the tray condensor in the middle slot
    For using 80-50mm lens, you put the tray in the bottom slot

Hope this clears that up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like your missing the movable tray condensor. If so, you should use the 150 lens (intended for the 4x5 format with the moving condensor removed) with your medium format neg.s intead of your 80. This will cure the light falloff issue, but you're going to have raise the head to greater heights for an equivalent size print than you would with the proper condensor/lens set. The light will be less intense as well, but not a huge issue.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I believe the following to be correct; If not, I'm sure someone will let us all know fairly soon:

Check the side of your enlarger's lamphouse. There should be a plate that tells you what type lamphouse you have.

If it says Lamphouse D you have a D2 enlarger, won't have a 3rd (4-11/16 inch) variable condenser and will require the 3.5 inch two condenser set for your 80mm lens.

If the plate says Lamphouse DV, then you have (the newer ) D2V, which means you should have accomodations for the variable condenser, and should have a 4-11/16 condenser in addition to the 6.5 inch two condenser set.

Either way, if you're missing something, probably the only place you'll be able to find one new and quickly is through Harry Taylor at Classic Enlargers Its probably going to cost a few bucks, however.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, let's clear a little confusion. There are two version of D-2. The basic D-2 has different condenser sets for each lens focal length -- the idea is that the condenser ought to focus the light source onto the lens, more or less. The D-2V has a "variable condenser" in which two main lenses are fixed, with a third movable and removable; it's used in different positions for different focal lengths, and removed entirely for 135-150 mm lenses used on 4x5.

If you have a D-2V (it'll have a door above the negative carrier with the condensers behind it), and the smaller third lens is missing, you're stuck with the light focused at the correct distance for 135-150 mm lenses -- but you only need the small lens, not a full set, and any concenser glass the correct diameter and focal length will work (it doesn't have to be from Simmon Omega). If you've got a D-2 (no V), and have only the longest "4x5" condenser set, then you'd need the additional condenser sets for whatever shorter lenses you might want to use -- 6x9 (105 mm), 6x6/6x7 (75-90 mm), and 35 mm (50 mm) will each have their own set with this setup (which is why the Variable Condenser version was created -- LOTS cheaper for the multi-format worker).

(edit: looks like someone else said pretty much the same thing at the same time -- happens around here)
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like you've got the info. you need to figure out if you're missing something.
    Just wanted to mention that I recently saw a large stock of various individual Omega parts listed on ebay from multiple sellers. Someone here may have spare parts as well.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    After a darkroom fire, the first replacement enlarger available was a 60-year-old DeJUR 4x5 condenser model. To use it with 35mm I had to improvise a 3.5 inch tall chimney to fit between the bottom 4x5 condenser and a 35mm film carrier. It works well enough to still be in use, almost 20 years later. It's been decades since I've used an Omega 4x5, and don't know if this shortcut works on the Omega. If it does, the chimney should be about an inch shorter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin