Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,729   Online: 916

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

what should I buy? 4x5 enlarger lens

HI all,

having recently acquired the awesome omega d5v XL I am in need of an enlarger lens for 4x5 negs. What should I take into consideration and why should I pick a 135 mm over a 150 mm lens, or the other way around? are there lenses I need to stay away from?

thanks for helping out

cheers,
    Onno

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would go with the 150mm. I have never been able to get a 135 to cover a 4x5 properly. Others with far more experience then I will beable to help you here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go for the extra covering power of the 150mm.
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Go for the rodagon 150mm , if you have deep pockets go for the apo rodagon 150mm.
    you will be happier with th 150

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    well, that seems to be unanimous.. I'll look for a 150, should I prefer a 4.5 over a 5.6 ? I don't know anything about these lenses, is there a test or website I could use?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Both the original 135mm lens on my ancient DeJUR 4x5 enlarger and a somewhat later f/5.6 135mm El-Nikkor cover 4x5 negatives well enough. However, if you have high enough darkroom ceilings and long arms, a 150mm might be a better choice. The main advantage of a maximum aperture of f/4.5 is easier focusing without a focusing aid. Any modern high quality f/4.5 or f/5.6 lens should provide fine sharpness and contrast. Even my older lenses suffice for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 150mm is the best bet. The rule of thumb is to use the longest lens you can get away with. I have an old 135mm EL-Nikkor that seems to work quite well, but I have heard that many other 135 mm lenses suffer a lot at the edges.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    Go for the rodagon 150mm , if you have deep pockets go for the apo rodagon 150mm.
    you will be happier with th 150
    And if you have shallow pockets, go for the EL-Nikkor...
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist
    And if you have shallow pockets, go for the EL-Nikkor...
    And if you have shallow and narrow pockets, go for the Tominon 135mm taken from one of the Land copy cameras. I took one from loading dock trash pile and compared against Componon and I was surprised how good it was. It covered 4x5 with good margin on all sides and gave good image to the corners. BUT you might want to keep it quiet that you use Tominon on one of these geeky forums... :-) Frankly, I kept my Tominon and sold my Componon. (I sill keep Componon 50, 80, 105, 210mm...)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin