Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,840   Online: 1159

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Enlarger problem?

After doing some printing, I've noticed my prints aren't turning out quite right.
    In what seems to be almost all my prints, one corner will always be lighter than the rest of the print. So say if I have a relatively dark print, one corner will be a blown out white. I don't know what it is. I've attached a sample print to show the problem. Notice the upper right corner. Please note the scan appears much darker than the actual print is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trumpet.JPG  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It could be caused by the lamp, the condenser lenses, the negative carrier, or the enlarging lens not being centered. If the problem occured at all corners it could also be due to the wrong condenser lenses or too short a focal length of the enlarging lens. Let us know the make and model of the enlarger and enlarger lens, and the film size, and we might be more helpful.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm using a Vivitar VI enlarger. 50mm 3.5 lens. 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you using the lens wide open? If so, you may want to try stopping down two stops which would put the lens at f/5.6 or f/8 depending on the lens.
    Not familiar with the enlarger, but is the position of the lamp adjustable? Anything obstructing the path of the light inside the enlarger, or between the lens and baseboard? You can do a basic alignment check with any bubble level...make sure the negative stage, lens stage, and baseboard are parallel to one another.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammy
    After doing some printing, I've noticed my prints aren't turning out quite right.
    In what seems to be almost all my prints, one corner will always be lighter than the rest of the print. So say if I have a relatively dark print, one corner will be a blown out white. I don't know what it is. I've attached a sample print to show the problem. Notice the upper right corner. Please note the scan appears much darker than the actual print is.

Hammy, just a quick question. Has this happened on just the one shot or are there more? Also, is it possible that the blown out part is a light that could have been on when you took this? I noticed that over the mans head is a can light, perhaps there was one over his shoulder when you took this?

Just a thought.

g

Shooter
    35mm
    If this is a condenser enlarger then I would check to items. 1 that the bulb is centered and not obscured. 2 That the condenser is fully in place.

I would pull out the condenser and fully clean it and reinstall it so that it is in the proper position. If your lens is in place and is centered and is causing this prblem then I would throw the lens away..paper is just too damned expensive.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm
    Another possibility occurs to me: It could be that you're not "sinking" the print quickly and thoroughly enough when you put it in the developer, resulting in underdevelopment in one corner. This would be most likely to have an effect if you're using rather short development times, so you might just try developing prints for a bit longer. If you try this and it has no effect, start looking to the enlarger options suggested by others.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I've had a very similar effect caused by the swivelling red filter being partly rotated into the picture field, ie off its end stop. Had me foxed for a long time.

Steve

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    This could be as simple as the easal is off centered

Take the negative carrier , put the lens out of focus, turn on the enlarger.

look to see where the circle of light is landing .. If your cropped image is not falling in the middle of the circle of light then that is your problem.

some good advice above about condensor and position from the others

Shooter
    Large Format
    Your Vivitar has two slots for the condenser. one for 35mm and one for 6x6. make sure it is in the right slot and is in right side up.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin