Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,491   Posts: 1,542,961   Online: 906

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Share your favorite Dodge/Burn tricks or techniques here...

I asked earlier about a burn flashlight device today and someone recommended putting masking tape over a maglite. Great way to diffuse the light. I also cut a filter (appropriate for the burning I needed to do) to fit on the end. I then took some black cinefoil and shaped it into a cone to place on the end of the light. It worked great! There were numerous tight spots that needed attention. The cool part was I could use it DURING the initial exposure where I could see exactly where the dense spots were. I was using this technique for a contact print and it would have been very difficult to find all of the tiny spots any other way.

If anyone has any creative ideas or tricks for dodging/burning whether using masks, diffusion materials with pencils, computer generated masks or what have you, please add it to the list. It would be great to have a consolidated group of techniques and ideas in one thread for future reference.

Thanks

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have found this to be pretty handy in some situations. It's more like variable contrast flashing than actual burning though.
    http://www.dauxlite.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pyrocat HD and minimal agitation. Shure makes printing easier to do. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Long scale film, normal development, minimal agitation.

Two bath developer and fiber paper.

And:
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a long skewer stick that I affix various pieces of gaffer's tape to the end of it for dodging. For Burning, I cut a hole in an old paper box. Its nice because if allows you to see the image on the box, so you know where you are about to burn in ahead of time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i do a shadow-puppet theatre kind of thing with both hands --- arms, a fist, fish, funny-bent-fingers (i have a hard time with the doggie). i trip the enlarger with a foot pedal.

my next printing session, i'll be doing one of my favorites, "robin hood" where robin +little john are out of towners and compete in the archery tournament.

i even hum the songs as i print.

--john

highlights from the next show include:

"who's driving this crazy umbrella?!"
    "oo de laly - oo de lally! a pox on the phony king of england!"
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dye dodging the negative using cocein scarlet or graphite. In lieu of that for the weak of heart creating masks from clear acetate using the two materials noted above or green and blue dyes for VC masks.

Sharp masking of the negative. Unsharp contrast reduction masking.

John, I hear that Leno is considering you for a guest appearance. Look forward to seeing your act.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Dye dodging the negative using cocein scarlet or graphite. In lieu of that for the weak of heart creating masks from clear acetate using the two materials noted above or green and blue dyes for VC masks.

Sharp masking of the negative. Unsharp contrast reduction masking.

John, I hear that Leno is considering you for a guest appearance. Look forward to seeing your act.

don -
    i do a mean softshoe (sand-dance) when i process film too ... ...
    too bad the lights have to be out
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a discarted mouse pad for dodging/burning large to medium-small areas. It is very flexable. The idea came from Les McLeans crumbled cardboard.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Metronome for getting consistant times and a footswitch to turn the enlarger on.

My last burning revelation was to make an insanely contrasty, dense, sharp positive (pin registered) mask and place it above a sheet of duratrans. This can be used to burn in annoying small logs / leaves etc that are at glare angles to the sun by using a burning in card, or to pre-flash paper so it only effects the pure white print values. The flashing option came in handy for lowering pure white sky values behind trees without effecting the subtle values of mist and fall foilage near the forest floor.

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 03-18-2006 at 12:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin